help with decoding 67 RS/SS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
January 2008 ROTM
Default RE: help with decoding 67 RS/SS350

if that engine has a vin # on it and it matches your vin it is a ss 350 car and quite possibly an rs from the sounds of it it prolly is

Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 PM

As I said. the only thing left on the pad is a "1" on one side and and the MU" on the other. the rest has been removed.
I believe this to be a true RS because of the trim tag. Andthis engine is for a AT and this camaro has the4 speed option on the trim tag. Iplan on dropping the tank tomorrow in search of the build sheet.

This is still a sweet car, even if it is a clone. Plus I have a complete "year correct" SS350 engine to rebuild while my 383rips up the pavement.
The funny thing is the seller still believes that its a real #'s match SS. If it wereI dont know if Icould honestly steal it for $20K. I guess his pride wont allow him to admit that he paid to much for it 10 years ago.
He gave me the old recipt. He paid $19K.
Disputing what a car is can really hit some nerves.

I plan on giving her a good spit shine and posting pics this weekend.

Later

Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

here are a couple of sites to look at
2 of them were listed already
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php
http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/

Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

This is what it says on one of the sites for a SS car. You may have discussed this as I have not read all your posts
Frequently Asked Questions
SS Camaro
Q. Is my Camaro an SS? -OR- I want to know if this Camaro is a true SS? -OR- How can I tell if my Camaro was a true SS? Our Favorite: This Camaro has SS emblems on it is it an SS Camaro?
(Below is a brief summary of some things to check but is by no means complete.

Depending on the year, checking the VIN, RPO codes or Trim Tag codes will help determine whether a particular car is an SS or not.)
A. The Chevy Camaro Super Sport, better known as the SS, was produced from '67-'72 and '96-2002. Basically, it was a performance package with some nice looks added to help identify them before you got to see their tail lights. Since the SS was a performance package, the engine is one of the most important parts of an SS Camaro.In most cases the original SS engine is required to identify the car as possibly being a true SS. Also, remember that having the original engine doesn't mean the rest of the car is still original. Check everything including dates, castings and partial VIN's. If the complete VIN says it was originally a 6 cylinder Camaro then you can guarantee it was not an SS so be sure to check the VIN. Unfortunately, these days it is so easy to fake almost everything on a Camaro - the more you know the better off you will be. Here is a good old saying that is never more true than for this ... if we had a nickel for every time someone said they had an SS Camaro (but did not) we would be filthy rich by now.
Identifying a First Generation SS:
From the looks of the emails we get on this subject we can sum it up by saying the best place to start to try to verify a first gen SS is by checking the engine codes and dates. We hope more people read this before buying a Camaro not after buying that so called SS. The standard engine in a '67 to '69 SS was a 350/295hp (300hp in '69). A big block 396 with either 325hp ('67-'69), 350hp ('68-'69) and 375hp ('67-'69). A first gen. SS either had a 350 or a 396 engine. Required power front disc brakes starting in '69. A 10 or a 12 bolt could be ordered with an SS. A/C was available on SS's unless the engine was 396/375hp. All first gen SS's could be ordered as a convertible.
There is NO code in the VIN that recognizes an SS in any first generation Camaro. A '67 Camaro has a code on the trim tag for an SS and a late '69 Camaro had an "X" code on the trim tag to identify some SS's. The X11 code is the only exception to identifying a true '69 SS Camaro because the code also means a plain Camaro. Unfortunately there are no codes on a '68 Camaro to help identify an SS. A Protect-o-plate can be helpful in identifying a first gen. SS but be careful because there are places that make reproductions of both trim tag and protect-o-plate.
The engine is very important to an SS Camaro but is necessary to identify all '68 and most '69 Camaros. Before emailing us in the hopes that we know some secret to identifying SS's check the engine codes at Engine Codes for SS horse power (HP) ratings see below. If the Camaro doesn't have the original engine then finding out whether it was an SS at one time just got that much harder and in most cases impossible. The only thi

Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 AM
January 2008 ROTM

Fire I use this site http://www.camaros.org/aboutcrg.shtml#Membersit has the most updated info you can find on the first generation camaro's anywhere. Also constantly updated. If you look there on that site for instance you will even find where G.M. PUBLICALY ADVERTISED a 327 1967 ss model. There are even pic's of this advertisement there.this model of course never made it into production as an SSbut it most definetly added to the myth. http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml the actual car was /is an L30m20 Which also had the 4p on the trim tag.which incedently doent mean it's an SS.It means it has the factory traction bar

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Believe it or not, '67 SS's could be special ordered with multi leaf springs. Most were installed as dealer options while some came off the line as special orderes as mine did. I purchased my first camaro with this option from the original owner in 1973. It was a fully loaded SS/RS car built in Sept. '66, one of the firsts. I had all of the original p-work from Bryner Chevrolet, Jenkintown, Pa. which provided this information. Unfortunately I lost the car in 1981 in a body shop fire, still grieving.
Found another original '67 ss/rs rag top. Still have that one with single leafs.