Broken dipstick - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Default Broken dipstick - now what?

Picked up our 67' conv. last week after a 2 year restoration. Changed out the break-in oil yesterday and went to check the level again this morning only to find half the dipstick left in the engine. I never felt anything stuck nor did I notice any weak area's on the stick yesterday. Never the less, it's a problem now.

I cannot get the remaining stick back in the tube, since the broken section is stuck. Also, I can only insert the broken portion back in far enough that's almost the exact length of the tube itself. I've noticed when trying to remove the tube, that some sort of black adhesive material was used to keep the tube in there. The engine is a completely rebuilt, painted, and machined chevy 350 out of a 71' camaro.

Is there a problem in starting this engine and driving it back to the shop? Any advice on removing the tube?

I'm new - but learning quickly. Sorry for the long post...

Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Broken dipstick - now what?

You say that someof the broken piece still in the tube? If it is, crush the tube around it with vise grips and twist both pieces out together. You can easily replace the tube into the block. And yes, you say that the broken piece is stuck in the tube, then you should be able to drive it to the shop without any damage. Even if it falls the rest of the way into the pan, it would just drop to the bottom. If you do drive it, plug the tube hole with something so that oil isn't flung out.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Default RE: Broken dipstick - now what?

Thanks. I'll be taking in next week, since I cannot seem to remove the tube. The tube itself doesn't seem to go too far into the block (1/2 inch maybe), and it appears the broken section begins right around that same point. There seems to be some sort of adhesive used to keep the tube in place and I'm afraid to cause any damage, so I'll leave it to the gents that built the engine up this time.

I do like your idea, but I don't think I'd be able to capture the broken section. Cheers.