69 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Default 69 wont start

Just got back into the old muscle scene. Picked up a cherry 69 with a 350 and HEI. it started missing a little and then just cut off the other day. I removed the dist cap and found carbon trails along the top of the rotor. cleaned it off and was able to start it up and get home. In fact it ran great. Parked it over night, and when I started it the next day, it fired right up for about 5 secs, then cut off and hasn't started since. I replaced the rotor and cap, and since I was in there, I replaced the coil and module so I knew what I had. STill no joy. I have 11.85 volts at the distributor with the key on. Pulled a plug wire (#1) and layed it on the manifold and had my son turn it over. I saw no spark, even in a dark garage. Wires are all in great shape and are installed in the proper locations on the distributor, and the distributor was not moved during anytime. I am getting plenty of fuel in the carb as well. I did not change out the capacitor. Can this be a problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear member

In my old truck I installed a factory HEI distributor and had similar issues. I found out it was the magnetic pickup in the distributor and since it was easier for me to get another one, I just replaced it and had no issues.

It might be easier to go see if anyone you know might have one (distributor) to try or is there a junk yard around that has one you can buy? I can't see them costing too much....

If I recall it cost more to replace a pickup then it was to get another one out of a junk yard.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Once you get it running again, or before, check to see if you still have the factory breaker point style voltage regulator. If so, toss that and buy a solid state one. The original style regulators have been known to burn out the HEI module. If you've upgraded to an internal regulator style alternator, then that's not an issue.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM

I did replace the VR with another one of the same (OEM) type. Crazy part was that I did get it started after swapping out the new module, back to the old one. Ran great for a while, and just recently shut down again. Thinking of rewiring, as I have found a couple of sketchy splices while trouble shooting. Electrical gremlins are a pain for sure....

Do you have a part number for an internal type VR?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Began a little more vigorous trouble shooting last night, as I am now finished with a project around the house. I checked wiring under the hood, junction block in front of the battery, Horn relay (new), all grounds, battery connections, and alternator connections. I have 11.8 V at the power wire going into the coil (HEI) with the key on. My guage in the car show about 13, dropping to 8 when I crank it. I recently bought a new coil from NAPA, but switched back to the old one last night for testing. No joy still.

Car was running great. Was warming up to drive to work and it just cut off. Cranks fine, just won't start. Plenty of fuel squirting in the carb.

Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Pull the distributor cap, crank the engine over, and make sure the rotor is rotoring!
The HEI distributor is a self contained ignition system. If it isn't producing a spark when power is going into it, something is wrong with the distributor, either mechanically or electrically. As a double check, check for spark with a timing light as you crank, just in case there was a flaw in your previous test.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-24-2012 at 05:22 PM.