Muncie M21? Stuck in gear / Catching in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Default Muncie M21? Stuck in gear / Catching in Neutral

I recently got my 67 Camaro on the road. No problems, everything worked properly. Over the weekend, on a about a half hour long drive, I rolled to a stop and there was a small popping sound. I slowly continued home with no problems. I took the car out later that day with no problems until later. It started grabbing slightly in neutral, here and there. About 20 minutes later, it wouldn't go into any gear and then finally found 1st, I started out and then it threw me out. I think 2nd was fine and then it threw me out of 3rd.

After limping home, I jacked up the rear end and started the car. Definitely spinning in neutral. I readjusted all the linkage and replaced all the metal bushings and spring clips. Didn't solve the problem. I took the linkage off the transmission and set 1/2 and 3/4 in neutral positions on the tranny. Started the engine, still catching in neutral.

I took the side cover off the tranny. Everything appeared to in good shape. Forks had limited wear. Sync rolls were intact and all the gears were in good shape. I jacked up one tire in the rear (open diff) and tried to spin it with it the tranny in neutral and the engine off, it wouldn't spin. While looking into the open tranny, I could see that the sync roll (brass gear) all the way to the rear of the tranny was trying to move as I tried to twist the driveline.

Any suggestions, aside from pulling it. I'm hoping that will be a last resort. I'm guessing this is 2nd gear, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to free it up.

(While the rear was jacked up, I attempting to put it in Reverse and let out the clutch, the engine started to die and the wheels didn't turn)

PLEASE HELP !!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

dude i hate to say it but you might have to drop her out. cause if its not the linkage than its probley a problem in the trans. it self. Has it been rebuilt recently at any point???

Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Don't know the exact history on the tranny. Bought it from my uncle who doesn't know a whole lot other how to spend and lose money. He just told me that he bought it without the shifter and then bought a new Hurst shifter.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

did he put the shifter in him self. an if so do u trust his work? also even though you replaced the bushings an clips it could be gitting hung up on something, maybe on tha floor board or somewhere else. an if it was put in at a shop. id call them an see whats up, or possable take her up there.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 PM

It's possible that it's getting hung up where the 3/4 rod crosses the 1/2 rod but I set everything to neutral and then removed the linkage all together followed by double checking the tranny neutral settings. Started it up and it's still catching. I believe the 2nd gear sync roll is the one that I can see trying to move when I spin the tire. Really just looking for a quick fix so I can it back on the road. LOL

Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

id get a buddy to get in there a shift with the car shut off. and you look and see if theres any binding in other gears or jus see whats going on down there