700r4 swap vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Default 700r4 swap vibration problem

Anyone know a good Shop in Pennsylvania that would be good to deal with a vibration problem on a 700 R4 swap in a first generation camaro thanks

Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

First thought is you might not have the pinion angles set right. Can't help for who is in your area though.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It kind of a big state,,, Hot rod shops are your best bet. Call and verify they do trans conversions. A Car show or cruise would be a good place to get info on shops, I mean if you live in Erie you won't need to take it to Philly to get it fixed.

Most of the time tracking down a vibration is not difficult for a trained tech. You can use your phone with a vibration app to get the frequency of the vibration at a know speed. Next you sit down and calculate what is spinning at the speed.

There are also other tricks. Incorrect drive line angles should feel worse under light load and get better when coasting. They will still be there just less intense.

I am sure you can find videos on you tube about setting drive line angles.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-24-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Default 700r4 swap

Thanks for all the replies. I should have mentioned I have had it to a shop and the pinion angle adjusted correctly I've had the balancer looked at I've had the flywheel looked at the drive shaft has been taken out and spun and is correct. I'm out of ideas still have a vibration from about 65 to 75 miles per hour the shop where I took this to be done does this sort of thing but they are not sure what it could be at this point and I can't keep just throwing money at it to figure it out , any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Step one is to measure the vibration and figure out what is turning that speed. If the shop you are working with does not know that then they don't even know the basics of vibration diagnoses. Back in the day this was done with a Reed tachometer but today just about any smart phone can read vibration.

I have used a reed tach to even find minor vibrations on new cars. We are talking about vibrations only the pickiest customers can feel. I had one job the when I did the math the only thing turning at that speed was the water pump. Water pump seemed fine with the belt off, replaces the water pump and its fixed.

Honestly, if the vibration did not start until the transmission was swapped there is only a few possible issues.

Driveshaft:
Angle (Note: I did not say pinion angle because is some cases the fix is adjusting the height of the transmission, the trans can be off left to right also)
Balance
Phasing
Fit with output tail shaft.

Fly wheel:
Incorrect, for the engine
Twisted or made wrong

Torque Converter
Wrong one.
Defective

After that you are talking about an internal transmission issue. That is why it is important to get a vibration reading, it will take 90% of the guess work out of the process. No reason to look at the fly wheel if the vibration harmonics increase with the speed of the car, no reason to look at the driveshaft is the vibrations increase with the speed of the engine.

Edit: Wow I just checked youtube for someone showing how to use a phone app to diagnose vibration. They sure have made it easy, No math needed with a little work upfront. This is a whole new level on a iphone. This is an app for Pros but you can do the same thing with a free vibration app and a spread sheet.

Old school all I had was a Reed tach.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-24-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 AM
4th Gear Member

YES ! Nice app, and I remember the Reed Tachometer as I used it on farm equipment.
But then, no today's technology back in the 60's ...
Thanks, Gorn.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:44 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think in the near future this could be even next level. Imagine using the GPS to tell when the car is turning. With that turning and speed info in theory it could tell you which tire was causing vibration, you could even have the phone positioning devices to help diagnose which wheel bearing was grinding. Heck just using 2 of them one on the dash and one in the trunk you could compare amplitudes and get at least if it in the front or back. Man it is a good time to be a mechanic. Too bad the pay sucks.