Wandering 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Default Wandering 69 Camaro

Have a 69 Camaro with power steering, 350 CI. Just had the front end aligned and the car still seems to be a wanderer on the road. Steering seems real light. I'm hoping it's not the steering box. Are there adjustments on a stock P/S box to tighten up the steering?
Thanks!

Old 10-26-2019, 09:50 AM
4th Gear Member

Could also be a tire issue and or stance of the car. Is it raised in the back with big tires? lowered all around? Staggered tire size or same front and back?
There's a lot of things in play,who did the alignment and did you take it back and ask them about it?
What ya got for shocks etc?
If the steering box was bad you would experience a lot of free play at the wheel with no movement of the tires.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Could also be a tire issue and or stance of the car. Is it raised in the back with big tires? lowered all around? Staggered tire size or same front and back?
There's a lot of things in play,who did the alignment and did you take it back and ask them about it?
What ya got for shocks etc?
If the steering box was bad you would experience a lot of free play at the wheel with no movement of the tires.
Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I've only had the car for a month so, I'm not sure of the history.
* I do know that the tires are old. It does have stock rally wheels. Yes, having older tires might be the issue (I hope this is it). New wheels/tires are in the near future.
* The suspension is new. New rear leaf springs, New upper & lower control arms, New coil springs. New KYB shocks all around.
* Camaro is currently at a transmission shop getting a new 700r4 installed. So, I will check for steering wheel slop when it returns.

Mel

Old 10-26-2019, 06:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Yes, there is an adjustment on top of the box - see the Allen screw and locknut?
Loosen locknut then turn setscrew in to touch and back off 1/6 turn one flat of setscrew, tighten nut.
Does steering return to center after a turn? If not, may need more caster as steering is suppose to return to center after a turn on its own.
Tighten front wheel bearings - raise wheel off ground, remove dust cap, cotter key, spin tire, tighten nut to 5 ft/lbs, then back off nut one flat, reinstall cotter key and dust cap.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:04 PM

After further tests it appears that the Pitman Arm was worn. Replaced Pitman Arm which has greatly improved steering.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:45 PM

Yes, on top is a nut with an Allen bolt. If you know all your front suspension is rebuilt (ball joints, tie-rods, idler arm,rag joint etc...) you may try playing with this adjustment. Inside is a ball bearing and wormgear. The nut is to lock in your adjustment and the Allen is the actual adjustment. Mark it before you mess with it so you can put it back to the original spot. One direction will loosen and the other way will tighten it. You will know on a test drive if you went too tight is when the steering wheel won't return to center on its own after making a turn -(if you know what I mean. Caster centering) Before any of this is done have someone in your car and have them move the steering wheel lightly 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock and LOOK under the car for where the play is coming from.
I rebuilt my whole front end on my 67 and add the quickest new 12:1 ratio box and got it pretty darn tight but compair it to today's rack-n-pinion car it will never feel like that but their are always conversion kit for $$$.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Fyi, the top adjustment (sector shaft) takes out the play between the steering wheel and the steering box. Has nothing to do with a wandering car. And, you should find a better auto repair facility. A worn pitman arm should have been spotted before an alignment was done. Aligning a car with worn steering components is a waste of time and money.