Sub Frame Question

Old 07-29-2006, 06:57 PM
June 2007 ROTM
Default Sub Frame Question

Sub Frame Question anyone have one installed in the first gen. I have a '67 camaro prostreet that needs a subframe upgrade. I want coilovers and the tubular controls arms with the mustang rack and pin. the whole nine yards. There is a place out in indiana that sells the whole kit for $2200.00 + 1000.00 for install what u guys still?

Old 08-22-2006, 02:22 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Sub Frame Question

I think I would buy the parts and do it yourself. You would get it done for 2000 total.

GOod luck

Old 09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
June 2007 ROTM

I found a place in pa that will build it from scratch

Old 09-06-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Unless you have an unlimited budget, I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to spend. I have no problems myself ordering parts (shifters, mufflers, plug wires, etc) by mail order from Su**it & J*gs or places like that. I even went so far as to order larger chassis parts from some mail order places. My experiences can tell you that if the prices is not too much higher (that is your call on what is too high) then I would ALWAYS opt for it being done local by a professional and not by myself with a "kit"

The local guys can get to know your car, build the chassis to your car(not a universal kit), fix things that went wrong and are most likely much better at welding than the general public. Keep it local or save up till you can have it done by them. I guess I should ask if they are a reputable company and have they done a car like yours? Specifically a 1st generation Camaro at least a Nova.

BTW: If you are planning on racing it and it is a fast car, than the NHRA/IHRA guys will most likely inspect that aftermarket (custom) chassis.

RM

Old 09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: RatMotor

Unless you have an unlimited budget, I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to spend. I have no problems myself ordering parts (shifters, mufflers, plug wires, etc) by mail order from Su**it & J*gs or places like that. I even went so far as to order larger chassis parts from some mail order places. My experiences can tell you that if the prices is not too much higher (that is your call on what is too high) then I would ALWAYS opt for it being done local by a professional and not by myself with a "kit"

The local guys can get to know your car, build the chassis to your car(not a universal kit), fix things that went wrong and are most likely much better at welding than the general public. Keep it local or save up till you can have it done by them. I guess I should ask if they are a reputable company and have they done a car like yours? Specifically a 1st generation Camaro at least a Nova.

BTW: If you are planning on racing it and it is a fast car, than the NHRA/IHRA guys will most likely inspect that aftermarket (custom) chassis.

RM
Someone else had mention that to me once before about local people working on the car only. Right now the only shop that I have found is the one that is in pa. As for the place indiana, that is what they do all the time. My buddy sent his car out there he has a 65 chevy II and they put the sub frame on the car and the 4 link set up. Man did it come back looking great. So I have seen what they car do. As for the local shop all I have seen on them in a custom motorcycle. Thank you for the advice.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

there are a lot of respected vendors out there that make those subframes now. if you were to use a local guy, how much experience does he have? is he all set-up for it? how is his quality?

when these big time players make them (Fat Man and the such) they are jigged up for exactly that frame and no guesswork.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:21 PM
June 2007 ROTM

I also thought about just buying it and doing it my self but there is a few welds that need to be done. I was gonna buy it from the go out in indiana besides its free shipping but I bought tubular a arms and control arms from him late this year but it was set up for shocks and I didnt want that.