New toy for my new toy (1st gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New toy for my new toy

WOW!! Sounds nice and smooth. Great videos.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club

It DRIVES, It DRIVES!!!! I took the car around the neighborhood today!! The damn external fuel pump is loud as SH*T which I'll work on, but it runs great. I also have some minor tweaking on the shifter to get the trans fully in OD or Park, etc... Does anyone know how many quarts of tranny fluid a 4L65E takes? I'm up to 8 and it can still use another at least.

Only problem is that it still handles like a 1969 Camaro... If the guy who looked at my Big Dog today buys it, the handling will be taken care of next...

Derrick

Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

God I'm envious!! What a great project... and thanks for keeping us posted on your progress

Old 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Great engine find - Looks like it was just meant to be - Thanks for the photos - I just love it when a project comes together like yours.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 AM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Status update

Well, I now have about 70 miles on the drivetrain. Runs GREAT! Still handles like a car from the 60's though. I'm waiting for HP tuners to arrive so I can get rid of my service engine light for no 2nd fan, and adjust some minor things. Unfortunately though, I'm out of $$$$ right now. I need to pay some crdit cards before I start tackling the brakes, suspension, and tires/wheels followed by paint. Anyone using an air ride setup on a 69 camaro? I'm thinking about how the air ride setup may give extra clearance for wider tires in the rear. Looking to fit ~315/20's in the rear when it's all done. I now it may require mini-tubs for that, but getting rid of the leaf springs will probably make it a lot easier.

Derrick

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Ninja Administrator

HOLY CRAP!
how did I miss this? that is awesome. how was the install? did it drop right in? major snags in the project?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Very nice i look forward to updates

Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
HOLY CRAP!
how did I miss this? that is awesome. how was the install? did it drop right in? major snags in the project?
Pretty much dropped right in. I used the BRP motor/tranny mounts. There is some custom fabing and thought involved in some areas. And the driveshaft of course had to be shortened. But the DSE/autometer dash was actually more difficult than the actual motor install. The $$$ adds up quick though beyond the cost of the actual motor and trans. Anyone planning to do this, should expect to pay another $2-3K in miscellaneous crap to complete the installation (doing the work yourself). And that doesn't include the gages and nice to have stuff...

Derrick

Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Out of $$$$

Quick update... Pretty much just been driving the car recently. Actually it's been filling in as my daily driver, even though I have 2 other cars and motorcycle. I had to have the new trans rebuilt due to bad 2-4 band and 3-4 clutches. Obviously, I don't think it was from a "new" GTO as the guy claimed. But all better now. And I got a new power brake booster which will be put on when I get back from this trip to PA. I couldn't figure out how pressing the brake pedal caused the car to either rev up or try to die. And it didn't seem to have power brakes (which I though was just lousy drum brakes). Turns out the booster had a hole somewhere that opened up when I pressed the brake.

Due to economic times and the DAMN IRS, there's no money to move on to the next phase quite yet (tires/wheels/disc brakes/air ride). All things planned, but until I pay off some bills, or sell my Big Dog Chopper, I pretty much have to wait.

Derrick

Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Man Derrick... that Install was just Awesome!!! And the engine just looks wicked in there.