My 69 project. aka what I have to work with

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: What I have to work with

The gaps are still there, I havent really gotten to them yet. I think when they were hung it was done hastily and just kind of 'there', I quickly looked at them when I put the hood on. I was more into the hood than the fenders to be honest, and the kids were stoked about it too. I think I saw what was some kind of shim that would create the gap. So I will get a better look at them in the morning when I have more time.I am thinking hat when I get to all the other sheet metal I will havea better chance on concentrating on the body as a whole then.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:12 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

So I am trying to figure out this oil leak thing right? I get out the grease remover snot stuff, spray it all over the engine, get out the pressure washer, spray it all over the engine, let it dry, wipe it off, and fire it up..... no more leak, yay. I bring it up to about 2000 rpm and let it sit there fora sec, and crawl under. I start looking around and remember that I should have some kind of eye protection.... what would remind you of that you may be asking...... OIL, thats what!! In my eyes, in my ears. Doesn't smell or taste very pleasant. This stuff is just flying off the harmonic ballancer, it waited untill the instant I got under there to start flowing. So I am thinking front main right? Well, I turn it off and crawl back under. Sure enough there is a fresh drizzle of oil coming from the area around the front mainAND there are two nice nead puddles of oil at the rear of the engine, so I am thinking also the rear seal is shot as well. If it was one or the other that would be easy enought to fix, couple of hours bada-boom bada-bing done. Nope. I am sure that when I pull the pan off I will find nice pretty shiny flakes of bearings floating all throghout the plumbing. I am thinking the balancer is warped, causing the crank to vibrate, causing the journals to tweak, causing the bearings to wear, causing the front and rear mains to die, causing my driveway to need cleaning, causing my wife to wonder why I would washa cement block that is outside and is driven on all the timeand not clean the shower after I am done once in a damn while, causing me to sleep in the car.
So now the car (mobile home built in 1969 strangely resembling a Camaro) is in the garage, on stands and ready for open heart surgery when I get off in the morning, weather (and wife) permitting. Its looking more and more like the car will be there a while, I may just go with rebuilding the 327 instead of fixing the engine thats in the car now, it might be cheaper. I dont know if this is how everyones 'restoration' or 'modification' project goes, but its how mine is going. Maybe this is how they get started though. lol

Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

This may be uncool of me, I found a 350 for sale, would be perfect for this project. The seller has somebody coming buy to look at it today, I cant get to it till the middle of the month. I am cool with the thought of the owner selling it to somebody else, first come first served, no fault there at all however, to the person going over to look at it tonight, in the PA area, if you buy it I will kill you. JUST KIDDING. I will be sad, but life goes on.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

HA, Nobody dies. I got the 350 today. Pics soon....... just an update.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
May 2007 ROTM

ok now I'm up to date, I missed this whole thread. looks like you have some work to do. It may take years but in the end you will love it like no other. I bet you love the 4 day weekends.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
June 2007 ROTM

me to I missed the whole thing. where have I been? have fun!

Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Love the 4 days. In my MOS I dont get many though. It is spring time now and my 'other' projects are mostly done. I have a 94 pathfinder that need an inner frame weld and some front end stuff put back on. The Superbeetle is done except for paint now. So its time to re-arange the garage and get started on the Camaro. I have a new roof and rear quarters that are going on, the old stuff has to come off first. Headliner and foam, inner fender wells, trunk floor, 700r4 is replacing whatever is there now, running boards; inner and outer and the list goes on, I should be able to teat drive it by the end of summer and then depending on the weather I could have it in paint by fall/winter.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:26 AM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

This may be uncool of me, I found a 350 for sale, would be perfect for this project. The seller has somebody coming buy to look at it today, I cant get to it till the middle of the month. I am cool with the thought of the owner selling it to somebody else, first come first served, no fault there at all however, to the person going over to look at it tonight, in the PA area, if you buy it I will kill you. JUST KIDDING. I will be sad, but life goes on.
what u looking for a 350? I think I have one.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I got one from another CF member, fasted. Good guy. I had to drive very far to get it though. Its still exactly where I put it the day I got it home, on the floor in the garage. I am wondering if the double hump heads from the 327 will fit it.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I have a problem. What to do first. I have a motor to install. I was going to leave it for untill I was done with all the body work. here is my problem. Do I drop the motor in and drive it (body is fine for now, just different color stuff) for the summer and do the project in the fall/winter. Or do I do the body work now, I have both rear quarters(full) and a new roof to weld into place. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: My 69 project. aka what I have to work with