My 69 project. aka what I have to work with

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: What I have to work with

12437 is a Sport Coupe. Fun car but no SS. Also the second code is for the Fisher Body.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

After researching the numbers I have found some things out. True, the cowl tag and vin are different because the reasons stated above. Thanks for the info guys, I wasn't entirely sure about it so I looked it up.As far as the 12437 thing, I couldnt find anything special about the SS that would have something different than that at the beginning, no worries, this is all a learning process for me anyways. I know its not an SS.And I don't really plan on cloning it (although I have entertained the thought). I wish there were a way to contact all of the PO's and ask about the mods they made. For exmple the 2 piece bar for the throttle, all I could find told me that it is the design for a BB, then I get that the heater box indicates its a SB, either way - its mine and I am happy with it and just look forward to getting it on the road and then really starting in on it in the spring.

More pictures to come - I really had fun with the breaks today. Who needs rear breaks anyways, I will just have really cool and easy burnouts!!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

This is going to be a real treat. I think its a 3 speed, not sure, need to look it up and check. I posted this on another thread, I will put it here too. This is the shifter on the floor and the old shifter on the column. If I rotate the column piece the car will be able to start, lights work and all if not, I get nuthing. The one on the floor is the buisness end, until I get the breaks working I wont know for sure what how many gers I have, I found reverse and forward though. To get the reverse light on I need to flip this toggle switch on the dash. neat. Oh by the way, its an automatic now, I don't know yet if it always has been. I found a throwout bearing in a box that came with the car so who knows?

Name:  shifter3.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  shift5.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  shift4.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  99.2 KB

Last edited by cplthomas; 10-19-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

like I said in your other post, take some pics of the trans pan and we can tell what trans it is

Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you are planning on doing a real thorough restoration on it you probably want to go ahead and drop the transmission out of it. Maybe not rebuild it before you drive it but it least give it a good wash in mineral spirits. If you do take it out send us a picture of it and we'll see if we can tell you what it is.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

As for the restoration. I dont see one, a complete one in this cars future. If I find a numbers matching car later on I will do that one up. This one will be just a custom. Mild engine, hood etc... I will keep this a father son(s) project for now, its our first so I know it won't be as high speed as one done with more experiance. Onto the project.... the brake lights were inop, I was thinking it was the master cylinder so I checked and rechecked it, here isa pic. There are no rear brakes (for now) I have the disk conversion for the fronts, those cylinders will go to the back if they are still servicable. Also the carp/choke. The car never came with electronic choke, at least not that I could find. Edelbrock says to wire 'open' the choke by clamping a 'hard' piece of wire to the choke link, so I did. Now I have to find a power source to give it juice so I could remove the wire clamp.

Name:  DSC00246.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  133.8 KB

Last edited by cplthomas; 10-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

So I got the new hood, radiator brace, both quarters and roof today. happy dance time. I put the new hood on, the rest will come with time, remember this is going to be my daily till spring when I dont need the heat and can go back to the 73 super beetle I tool around in. Anyways, here is old and new hood. The lines arent as streight as I want, I am going to make adjustments and go around the block a few times, you know rev the engine, scare some old ladies....

Name:  frntold.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  frntnew.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  117.9 KB
Name:  DSC00261-1.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  93.5 KB

Last edited by cplthomas; 10-19-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Very nice! Looking good! Always good to see a Classic back in the game!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Yippie, took it for a drive.... I was thinking 'looks stock - hauls ***' and now I am thinking 'looks *** - hauls stock' I sprung some kind of oil leak, not alot, well depend on what you conside lot. My VW leaks oil but that is to be expected, there is a certain amount of acceptable leakage there, but with this.... oh no, not this much. Its in the vacinity of the mech fuel pump. There wasa fuel pump block off thing in the glove box, maybe the PO knew something that I am soon to be finding out. So it might bea while before I get an update on this. And it might be before spring when I strt the whole thing.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

how did you make out with the gaps between fender and door ,have you fixed it yet? if you did,what was the problem?

Quick Reply: My 69 project. aka what I have to work with