My 68 Camaro - suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Truer words have never been spoken. Fix it up the way YOU want to drive it and when the time comes to sell it, let the new owner complete the other half HIS way. WE all seem to do that anyway. Right?
Yep, my wife is a keeper. Switched out her car for mine (cancer scare last year made her think differently I guess) and when SHE gets involved things seem to go to the next higher step.
Anyway, build it to drive it (own it) and worry about the other half later. The cars that I've actually built for myself (no intension of selling them) always worked out best for me. The ones I built to flip ... well, lets just say it never works out the way you planned. Especially on these cars. They are very well liked and in demand. They are either junk, nice drivers, very cool weekend cars or full blown show cars. It makes it hard.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, there's some good insight here. I'm thinking I will take the plunge into the mechanicals.

My plan is to first address the following, in this order:

1. Brakes - work with what I got (disc front), new rotors, pads, etc.

2. Transmission swap (TKO/500)

3. Rear - Gears & Posi

4. Motor - get a compression test, then determine if I can get by w/ bolt-ons or need to completely overhaul.

Any of the Nor-cal folks on here have any shop recommendations?

It would be nice to have a single shop to see this through, but I want each area taken care of correctly as well.

Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Mechanically there is the Super Motor Store on Fair Oaks & Manzanita in Sac (Carmichael actually) that has a lot of stuff for you, but for actual "work" to be done it's not cheap. Gearhead Garage off El Camino & Bus 80? You can see them from the freeway. They build Awesome cars, but a little out of my price range.
I'm up off the Hwy 50 side, so the local machine shop in Placerville is who just did my motor work. Probably pricey, but at today's costs it was worth it - he just built a 69 monster machine for a buddy of his. I'm looking thru all of the left over parts to see what I can use. =)
Where are you located? So Sac has a shop called Lorca's Performance. That's who was going to do my mini tubs, but now (all of a sudden) I have to work within a budget. LOL.
Good Luck man.
See you on the road.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 AM

I live in SF, but the car is near Chico, Ca. I figure Sacramento may be the best place in the area to have quality work done at hopefully a reasonable price. I'm from Socal originally and I know there are a ton of spots down there... however, it would be a lot more convenient if I can find a place up this way.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

There's probably some good shops down in S.F. - I moved from there so long ago, any shop I knew is probably gone by now. Chico has a couple of good body shops and even closer to Yuba City there are a couple of Hot Rod Nuts out there that have nice shops. Not sure of the pricing or cost, but might be cheaper than Sac. I've seen a couple of good (quality & price) shops throughout the Sacramento area from Elk Grove to North Highlands. It just depends on what your looking to have done.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck with the project, trying to keep it as a driver helps a lot in keeping up with the motivation of the project. Keep us updated as things change.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear member

What do you exactly want to do with the car? And have you check the whole body over?.Its a Fisher body and they are prone to rust.Such as the floors and the trunk .around the rear window.Just to name a few places..Its a Camaro and especially with a big block /4 speed the body may be "tweeked" and or twisted.Its it has those possible issues .And you are willing to spend the time and money to if need to repair them.Before you start to add the "toys" .Its up to you.

Attached Thumbnails My 68 Camaro - suggestions needed-130044932860518017_26257430996_o-1-.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 03:56 PM
4th Gear Member

As Zspoiler suggests, body may be tweeted.
Look for cracks on upper drvr side A-pillar where it joins the roof - one of the places.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM

If I may chime in here, I agree with several previous replies about getting the mechanicals handled first, THEN body/paint (spoken like a true technician)

The thing that stuck out the most in your posts was the rear end. If it's a one legged dog, it's not likely an aggressive ratio, and those 396s especially like a steep gear, since they wind almost like a small block. a 12 bolt posi (or even a 9inch) with 4.11s will awaken that beast under your hood, and you'll kick yourself for not making the switch sooner. My last 68 had a 3.07 posi 12 bolt, and that car sucked everywhere but the highway. Before that I had a 74 with a 4.56 12 bolt - night and day difference on the fun-o-meter!!

Put some gears in a bigger housing and call it a day. You'll be happy with the result.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

CO68 is right. Tranny & gears make a BIG difference. My car came with a 3:07 and I had a 10 bolt built with 3.42s (wanted 3.55s but could only get them with a 12 bolt). My car came with a 2 spd power glide and just changing to a T350 was night & day. So rear end gears will make a giant change in how the car runs.

Good luck & keep us posted. I think it's time to put the new rear end in my car. Which includes the 4 whl disk brake kit as well. =) See, I'm already smiling.

Quick Reply: My 68 Camaro - suggestions needed