What is the right price for a 67 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What is the right price for a 67 RS?

Hi guys and girls. I am new to the forum and I have been looking for a vintage car to restore. I will try to buy a 1967 camaro RS coupe this weekend (327 ci do not know yet weather it is stick or auto) According to my buddy who has seen the car, it has been sitting under a cover on his neighbors driveway for about 8 years and now he wants to get rid of it, but has no clue as to what the value of the car is. Car has not been started in a while and it will need a total restoration. Sheet metal is fare with some surface rust but no holes. Floor is very good and interior has to be re done. I do not know myself what the car may be worth, but my buddy said that the guy thought between $2000 and $3500, he said to come an have a look and make him an offer.
I undersatnd I am not giving a lot of info here, but I have not seen the car yet, and before I do I want to have a basic idea of what the price may be.
Any help would be aprecciated.
Thank you

Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd say that 2,500-3,500 is probably a pretty good price for a 67 restoration Camaro.

I find "parts" cars all the time going for more than that.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The car's location will have a lot to do with value - In a wet area, it will get a lot of rust, but in Arizona, not so much. The 327 probably has a 10-bolt rear, so be careful about go-fast goodies. If your goal is straight resto, it would be nice car.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The car is in NJ, so snow and salt have been there, no doubt. I am planning to restore it as close as I can to factory original looks and specs, except for engine guts (I will try to pep it up a bit) I'll see what I can do on Saturday. I am bringing a friend who does body work, to get his opinion on the shell.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If rust is only surface and no rot through, then 2000-3500 is a steal for an RS. Don't tell the seller that though. He needs to hear how bad of a shape it's in....unless it really is in bad shape.
Do the old..."Hmmm....I dunno, it needs a lot of work...." If once you see it and it's in better shape than you think it is, don't start doing back-flips, that'll take away your bartering power.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If rust is only surface and no rot through, then 2000-3500 is a steal for an RS. Don't tell the seller that though. He needs to hear how bad of a shape it's in....unless it really is in bad shape.
Do the old..."Hmmm....I dunno, it needs a lot of work...." If once you see it and it's in better shape than you think it is, don't start doing back-flips, that'll take away your bartering power.
I know!!! I am getting my self ready for that moment... lol
I'll see what happens. I will try to post the outcome on Saturday. For now I'll just pray this is the car I've been waiting for.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Camaro 69 is absolutely right, you will be stealing this car for that little amount. Do a quick search on ebay and see what simple rolling chasis go for and you will be happy with your deal. Post up some pics when you get it home.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:31 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea if its only got surface rust and the underside and frame are solid I would kill for something like that.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

honestly, a "ballpark price" really can't be given with the info you supplied, never mind without DETAILED pictures. ballpark is $800 to $6000 for a good roller

one more thing...people are saying to play the seller as a sucker and if the car is real nice, for you to not to let on that it is

well here's the flipside.....more than once I've seen buyers go in thinking that they are playing the seller for a sucker. the seller asks a price that would be too high for a Plain Jane car, but they play dumb about "not being sure" about the true identity of the car. they lead on that it "might" be an original SS, RS, GT, etc, and the price would be a steal for a real optioned car

the buyer thinks he got a steal but once he starts getting into fixing the car, he finds out he got taken and the seller was laughing all the way to the bank

think about it for a minute.......most people that sit on their cars as long as you say this guy has, know exactly what they are sitting on

Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I agree too, pictures would be beneficial.
All our suppositions are based on the initial description of it having "some surface rust but no holes". Obviously a thorough inspection might turn up more rust underneath.
But, $800? That might buy you a rolling front subframe....maybe!
To put it into perspective, if the car really is in that kind of shape, that $2-3k price is a very good one, even if it isn't an RS and is just a plain Jane model.
Buying and selling a car is a "game" that's played. The seller asks a price up here, the buyer wants to pay down here, and there is a compromise that's met in between. The LAST thing a buyer wants to do is start wringing his hands and show excitement. I've bought and sold many cars in my lifetime, both as keepers or as a buy and flip for profit, enough to know how to work it. You can call it "playing the seller for a sucker" if you want, I call it using your poker face and showing NO emotion. Show any excitement or attachment and you could be done in for.
It sounds to me like the owner bought it as a project and never got around to it, and now just wants it out of his way. How many times does that happen? A lot. And, if the owner did know what he had and cared about the car the least bit, he wouldn't have left it sitting outside for eight years, covered or not.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-15-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the right price for a 67 RS?