Perfect body 1969 for $10,000?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Default Perfect body 1969 for $10,000?

Guy is selling this 1969 camaro with zero rust, he replaced 100% of it on rotissere, and knows for 100% certain its all gone. It didnt have much to start he said, as he is the 2nd owner.

Its primered and ready for paint. Flawless body (my uncle who lives near where it is at looked at it)

All interior is torn out, but he has it all in boxes and stuff packed away. Metallic Blue interior, newly recovered seats, new door panels, new carpet, new dash, etc etc he says he has it all.

Has a 350 engine/350 turbo transmission. Engine doesnt run as it needs rebuild and probably needs heads and a manifold.

10 bolt rear end, non posi, probably 2.73 or 3.08 gears

Drum brakes

New drive shaft

Rally wheels

No Windshield, No grille

What do you guys think? Does the fact that the body is flawless make it worth the money? And with him saying he has 100% of the interior to put it all back together?

Leave feedback asap, im gonna commit to buying it if my dad decides its a good deal as well in under 3 hours if it all goes how I want it to.

Ask any additional questions that I may be able to answer.

Thanks Camaroforums members!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you know what all was done to the car? Replacing a quarter panel or installing a floor is one thing but to completely disassemble a car and put it back together and get it right requires jigs and fixtures. It is possible to brace a car and carefully do one section at a time but it is very easy to make a mistake.

These type of “in process” project cars do not normally sell for much. In fact most I see sell for less then the body parts cost. Why? Cause there is no way to be sure they are put together right unless you 100% trust the source. I have seen many cars that looked great in pcs but when you try to put them together there are tons of issues. In some cases things have to be cut a part and redone. Most restoration shop will quote a price on any rusted out car but they will tell you time and material to finish someone else work.

If this is a professional restoration house that is willing to stand behind its work that is something different. I would just ask for references.

I hope flawless is your word, If the guy claims the body is flawless he has not been in the trade very long. There is no such thing as a flawless body.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmm....I don't like rushed-into deals, especially this kind because there are so many questions and things to verify. If the guy is a straight shooter he needs to list everything in writing (that's alot) and accept a refundable deposit should he come up short in anything he lists. Then you would need to do a checklist of all listed items and both of you initial off of it.

Does it have a clear title? Can you run string on the frame? Etc. etc. If it all checks out sounds like it could be a fair deal. You also better need some time to price out a list of everything you will need to buy, and those things that you will need a shop to install if there are any.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Make sure all the panels are on, hood, doors, fenders, header panel and that they fit good. Shoddy metal work will show in the gaps if things were not aligned properly. On the other hand Dynacorn sells 1969 body shells for $13,000 and they do not line up perfectly either.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was not reffering to the small tweaks that will be needed to get everything look good. I am talking about a windshield not fitting cause of a twist or the subframe not bolting up. I am not kidding when I tell you I have had cars show up on my alignment rack that where 4 inchs out of square. This was a car that was done with finish paint and all. I also remember one that was shaped like a banana. I think that was just the way they guy had his jack stands while he did his body work.

The body shop manager told me once that a wrecked car was easy to estimate cause you can kind of guess where to look for the internal damaged based on how the car looks but these cars that are not put together right can have anything wrong. You have to do 100% inspection to see whats going on but even those inspection assume damage from a crash they are not ment to inspect for proper assembly.

I am not say this car is put together wrong. I am say it might not be right. That is way these project almost always sell for less then the sum of thier parts. I have seen cars with 4K with of new sheet metal sell for 3K with all the other part thrown in.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How long has it been in the primer? Mine was in it way too long and even though it was garage kept, the parts of the metal that had the rust sand blasted from it started to bleed through(rust). Of course I am talking in years but primer must be sealed from moisture.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Beware it may be a fit nightmare

Just because it all looks brand new doesn't mean that everything will fit. I've seen so many cars come into my metal shop that had panels put on incorrectly and had huge gaps. There is a red Camaro Convertible on ebay right now that had floors and quarter panels put on and the drivers side was not kept in position and there is a huge gap between the drivers side door and quarter panel . You would not know this without the door being installed on the shell that you are looking at and when you start putting all of the other parts on such as front fenders etc , one part being off will throw everything else off. Be very careful when buying a project, it could turn out to be your worst nightmare.