New to the forum with a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 AM
Default New to the forum with a few questions...

Hello, I purchased a 69 camaro this spring and I'm finally getting around to dismantling it in preparation for a complete restoration… I'm in part gathering mode as well. The car will have a crate 427 BB engine in it with a 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear end. Can you guys point me in the right direction for suspension springs in the rear as well as the front? I am hoping the new parts won't keep my ride height too high. I want it to look stock in appearance. What weight spring should I purchase for the front? I was going to use a multi-leaf for the back.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Multi leaf there are several available things to think about now are do you want a 4 speed or 5 or 6 speed, exhaust, A/C? If you go with coil overs your front height is easily adjustable if you do a four link again the flexibility is there.. If you want to go basic as possible get summit multi leaf rears and 500 pound coils springs.. Exhaust should be a major concern, oil pan clearance, power steering or manual or rack and pinion.. All these decision's affect each other..

Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 AM

Thank you Icecobra. If I stay stock (which is the intent for this car), then the exhaust shouldn't be an issue?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 AM
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the 1st gen buy.
If Camaro started life as a L6 or SBC, you will need BBC frame mounts, BBC trans crossmember, and BB fan shroud plus modify heater box with BB core.

Springs can be chosen by expected weight on front axle.
Might be a good idea to find and rent individual wheel scales from a roundy-round racer, or local speed shop. Or, you could weigh most everything with shipping scale.

If you find a AIM, it has weight differences of all options and base weight, then spring rate chosen from there. In the end, if front is too high, cut off a half coil at a time until desired height is achieved.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

The question on exhaust will be stock manifolds, short headers, long headers size of pipe, do you want power steering, will it be a 4 speed car, all these effect where and if the exhaust fits at all... Of course beyond the transmission its easy but getting there can be tricky. to answer your direct question

What are my Camaro factory spring rates?

Small block 325 lb. Big Block 327 pounds

Z/28 379 pounds

Rear is somewhere around 125-150

What front spring rate is good for street use?

Spring rate is very closely tied to horsepower, traction, car weight, and center of gravity height.

Use springs that will keep the car under control under acceleration and braking.

Use sway bars to make the car corner nearly level, and balance handling - IE over steer – under steer.

Depending on front end weight, tire size, desired ride quality. 500 -550 would be good for cruising on a lowered Camaro. 600 to 650 for serious autocross with wide tires or big block.

The stiffest small block front spring from the factory is the 69 Z/28 #3932771 OR 3955720, with EK code on the tag, at 379 pounds per inch. Moog part number 6308. Note - Moog does not list this spring in their replacement listings, the replacement spring is #6312 which is a 337 pounds spring. I came up with the Z-28 number by crossing over a factory part number from a Z/28 spring to the moog replacement spring for that number.

#6308 has the ends a little shorter than a standard spring and will work fine, the ends will just be a little short of filling the spring pocket top and bottom. I'd try positioning it to fill the lower spring pocket and let the top sit where it may.

Looking down from the top of the spring, a stock spring would have the lower end of the coil at the 12 O'clock position in the lower A frame. The upper end would be at the 10 O'clock position. With #6308, the upper end would be closer to the 12 O'clock position. I have been told the ride height may be a half inch lower than before. I have no personal experience with these springs, just talked to people on the web about them.

The 6308 is shown in the Moog catalog for a 1969 Camaro with inline 6 engine - Heavy Duty, no air. Don't let this put you off, this spring is fifty pounds higher rate than stock. This rate is NOT for a heavy car, or for VERY wide or sticky tires. It will lower a small block Camaro nicely, usually to where the old sagging springs sat.

#6320 would also be a good choice for a heavier SB Camaro, or for a little higher ride height. It has a half inch taller free height and 380 pounds rate. Or, cut it to lower ride height and get a little stiffer rate, maybe 400 pounds if you cut a little off it.

The springs above will give a slight improvement in handling with no or very slight increase in ride stiffness.

I strongly suggest using an aftermarket front spring for High Performance handling or use on a lowered Camaro. Rates in the 550 range for street use, 600 and up for autocross, super street, track, etc.

The Moog #6041 spring is between 600 and 700 pounds depending on how much you trim it to fit your car. It starts out at 501 lbs per inch with a height of 17.09".

It works for racing or a stiffly set up street Camaro with a lot of rubber and power.

Last edited by Icecobra; 08-04-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Thank you for the great information!