New to Camaros and need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Default New to Camaros and need opinions

Hi everyone,
I am a chevy enthusiast and have owned and restored a lot of stuff but never a camaro. (7 vettes, 40 model pickup street rod, 71 Vega street rod to name a few). I have purchased a big block car with no engine, according to my research it came with a 396 350hp / 4 speed and is a true SS car. Still has 12 bolt rear. It is basically just a roller. Lots of rot in floor pans, trunk, rear quarters / doors / front fenders. Got a "deal". Any way now that one can purchase a complete body from a couple of sources, would I be better off doing that than replacing all the sheet metal pieces. The individual pieces are not that bad, but it takes a LONG time to cut all this out and replace it. If you go with the new body then you have nice straight new sheet metal. EVERYWHERE. The problem then lies in that all the trim tags will have to be removed from the old car and put on the new one. Since I have not got the pro-tect-o plate how does one prove up that the car is what it is and that I did not just rob the tags from another car and put on the new one. (Which technically is what I am doing) and by making these changes do I impact the value of a car that will not have matching numbers to begin with.

Second, if I change the color from that 'lovely' dark green to another color, is that gonna hurt the value.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
ATC

Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome to CF. Technically, it's not illegal to mess with a trim tag, but it is illegal to swap a VIN tag from one car body to another, which in essence is what you would be doing. The only way to prove your car is a true SS is by having the matching numbers engine, or original documentation. Anything else that can make the car appear as an SS can or could have been added. Without those to back it up, it's just a "hunch" that it was an SS, and car's aren't valued based on gut feelings. As a buyer, someone is going to assume your car is not an SS, unless proved otherwise.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Since you don't have a 'numbers-matching' car and you cannot prove it's a Super Sport, I don't think you will hurt the value by anything you do to it.

Paint it the color that YOU like.