Need electrical advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 08:17 PM
Default Need electrical advice!

Very frustrated newbie here on this board and need advice. I have a 68 with the tic toc dash.

The old white bulbs appeared dim (only the two center most lights appeared lit) and lens was pretty scratched so I pulled the gauges out for some replacement parts. Even though the speedo and tach weren’t very bright, everything worked. I replaced with some blue LEDs to match the blue ones I installed on the console. When I replaced, only the same two center most lights function and I lost the right turn signal. Bought some replacement bulb holders thinking it might have something to do, but no. Bought a new printed circuit board and things got worse…only the right-most bulb lights and lost both turn signals. Tried multiple combinations of lights and bulbs to no avail. Tried adding a 2nd ground wire from gauge cluster to firewall and that does nothing. Went back to original circuit board and I have the same two center lights but both blinkers are out. No clue what to try next. It’s been multiple hours over several days.

by the way, I pulled the steering wheel off to get better clearance. Does that make any difference with the turn signals?

any guidance provided would be much appreciated…thanks

Old 06-19-2022, 10:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is that a replacement or original harness? What Equpment to you have available?

Removing the wheel should have no effect on the turn signals but then you are talking about a car designed to last 5-8 years that is now 54 year old. You breath on something wrong and you got issues. If everything was replaced you are dealing with how well it was installed and how good the none-GM part are. I am not a fan of those grounds they seem a little amateur-ish, the green on on the right looks nicer but I am not a fan of grounding into random sheet metal. They should at the very least have the star washers to dig into the connector and the sheet metal and some heat shrink to keep the internals for oxidizing.

I remember working on a 66 Chevelle at the dealer. It had turn single and reverse lights not working. I quickly figured out there was a broken wire for the front turn signal. I traced it down to a six in section. I opened the harness and replaced 6 inch of wire. In the process of that repair three other wires broke from the movement of the harness. Luckly the service manager already knew this was a possible problem and only agreed to do the job for time and materials. I bet I repaired 16 separate wires and at best the car had 3 broken wires when it got there. After the service manager test drove the car he confessed he was surprised I got it in less than a day. Since I was a new guy he thought I would pull my hair out and give up and he would have one of the older techs help me out.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:46 AM
4th Gear Member

You can go to www,camaro.org and download an AIM for a wire schematic.

Turn signal indicators are wired with front turn signals at interior side of firewall.
Good luck

Old 06-21-2022, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Is that a replacement or original harness? What Equpment to you have available?

Removing the wheel should have no effect on the turn signals but then you are talking about a car designed to last 5-8 years that is now 54 year old. You breath on something wrong and you got issues. If everything was replaced you are dealing with how well it was installed and how good the none-GM part are. I am not a fan of those grounds they seem a little amateur-ish, the green on on the right looks nicer but I am not a fan of grounding into random sheet metal. They should at the very least have the star washers to dig into the connector and the sheet metal and some heat shrink to keep the internals for oxidizing.

I remember working on a 66 Chevelle at the dealer. It had turn single and reverse lights not working. I quickly figured out there was a broken wire for the front turn signal. I traced it down to a six in section. I opened the harness and replaced 6 inch of wire. In the process of that repair three other wires broke from the movement of the harness. Luckly the service manager already knew this was a possible problem and only agreed to do the job for time and materials. I bet I repaired 16 separate wires and at best the car had 3 broken wires when it got there. After the service manager test drove the car he confessed he was surprised I got it in less than a day. Since I was a new guy he thought I would pull my hair out and give up and he would have one of the older techs help me out.

hi and thanks for your help. I don’t have much for equipment just have a multimeter + a basic light gauge that tells if i have current or ground. It’s not the original wiring harness, it’s a replacement kit by American Autowire. I didn’t install it, I bought the car like this.

is there any easy way to identify the bad wire or bad ground connection easily? What is the best/easiest method?