Mods Hurt Value. But How Much

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Default Mods Hurt Value. But How Much

So How bad does tubing the rear wheel wells and loosing the back seat hurt the value of say a 1968 RS factory V8 car? How about a roll cage. I'm looking at a car that was made into a drag racer and I'm wondering how bad these mods would hurt the resale value. Seems like a fun toy but I don't want to pay more than I'll ever get back out of it if I get stuck and need cash or just get tired of it.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

it honestly depends on the buyer and the condition at the time of sale. Advertised as a race car, and sold as one the value increases. as a street car the value drops. Dependent on the buyer it might drop more, or it might actually increase...

Sorry to be vague but its the truth...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's a hard one to give definitive answer to. If nicely done, and not hacked up, a modified car can be worth as much as it's "stock" counterpart. The one thing you will have if you go to sell though, is a smaller pool of buyers. You also have to consider what you want out of the car. If strictly for an investment, then get an original unmolested car and keep it that way. But, if you want a car to have fun with, and something that is your "personality", then don't worry as much about the possible difference in future values.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Alki70
So How bad does tubing the rear wheel wells and loosing the back seat hurt the value of say a 1968 RS factory V8 car? How about a roll cage. I'm looking at a car that was made into a drag racer and I'm wondering how bad these mods would hurt the resale value. Seems like a fun toy but I don't want to pay more than I'll ever get back out of it if I get stuck and need cash or just get tired of it.
Are you able to drive it on the streel legally where you live? If it's streetable, and your only looking at resale, then you have to look at potential buyers. How long has the car been up for sale and how many offers have been made on it?

With any large purchase, I would advise against purchasing anything that you can't afford. If your worried about something happening and you pulled out a big loan to purchase the car and your worried about not being able to make the payment later on down the road, then simply don't put yourself in that position. Save your nickles and pay cash and purchase something you can afford.

I've got 30,000 wrapped into mine and it took me over 10 years... But I own it and never had to worry about loosing it at any point along the way, and our bills were always paid. The worst that happened was is sat for a few years until the cash started flowing agian.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
With any large purchase, I would advise against purchasing anything that you can't afford. If your worried about something happening and you pulled out a big loan to purchase the car and your worried about not being able to make the payment later on down the road, then simply don't put yourself in that position. Save your nickles and pay cash and purchase something you can afford.
Solid advice right there.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Way off track. The point was I don't want to put $30,000 into a car that's worth half that.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

show us some pics

Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You understand these are just opinions and all it takes is two buyer that want a car bad and all our opinions go out the windows. My opinion is simple if you have a numbers matching 68 RS V8 don't cut it up. Find a none numbers matching or none V8 and cut that up. Hacked up race car are almost always worth less then the sum of thier parts. I have seen some nice race cars sell for less the owners had in their motors but they are race car so people assume then have been raced.

If your goal is to break even on a car you should really think about what you want. If you want the car a certain way you should build it. If your planning to flip the car a 1st gen camaro is a tuff car to make money on. Buying a already competed or near complete car is always the best move money wise but are you the kind of guy that want the car "your way". Many here are. We have a lot of members that have 3-4 times the resale value in their cars. They don't care because it will be their kids selling it after they are dead. So I guess the question is " is this an investment or a dream car" because it is tuff to have both.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.