Intake and Carb Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Found a fitting for the temp sensor that worked great. Ground and drilled on the alt bracket till it fit nicely.

Now on to the new issue. I connected everything up but disconnected the ignition from the distributor. turned it over a few times to prime the carb and fuel is everywhere. It is leaking from the fittings on the pump (out side) and the fuel rail at the carb. They were pretty loose at first because I have a habit of over tightening things. So I tightened everything down to the point where I am afraid to go any tighter, any help? The book says no to any sealants so I am kind of out there. And here is some motivation.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you have flare fittings, the flare is what does the sealing and you don't use any kind of sealant.
If it's a pipe thread fitting, then you do need a sealer (just as if it was natural gas pipe in the house).
Use teflon tape, the yellow type made for gas. And be sure to wind the tape on in the direction of how the female fitting gets wound on, so it doesn't try to unwind.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-16-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Summit agrees with the tape even though the book says otherwise, he also confirmed that they are inverted flare connections but since they are steel you have to really crank on them to get them to seat. I will have to give the tape a shot later on today since I have cranked as far as I am willing too go.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you're getting a leak at a flare fitting, there's something wrong with the fitting. The male and female flares are what makes the seal. And since the tubing spins freely inside the nut, any leak at the flare connection will run right out between the tube and nut. The threads DO NOT make a seal on a flare connection, only on a pipe thread connection. Coating the flare threads with tape or sealant would be a waste of time. Where exactly is the fitting(s) that's leaking, do you have a close-up pic to show?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I'm sure the flares just weren't tight enough, but I did put one wrap of yellow teflon tape around the threads and cranked away. No more leak. I just cranked down on the pump side and that took care of it there as well.

Then I fired 'er up and it is awesome. No more hesitation when I hit the gas, but I havent taken it out of the garage yet, but I'm about too just so I can have it in the garage the right way again. So I will see what happens on the road tomorrow. I dont think I will have time to put the hood back on for awhile though

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Took it around the block and it just wanted to throw the tires off, but will have to wait on that one. It is still hesitating, but the engine hasnt run in a few weeks and wasnt warmed up at all so I took it easy. I wonder if it has to do with the 6000' above sea level here in the springs. I will look into some jets for the carb and see. Still leaking at the pump too, so I will give that the same treatment as the top. I am guessing the tape lubes the thread a bit to make it easier to tighten, maybe but it worked up top.

Oh yeah, I will get a before and after too.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow! Major visual improvement in the engine! Looks like a real hotrod now with the intake and carb on there! I always put some teflon tape on fittings, even if they're flared just for the reason you guessed; it makes the threads slippery and they tighten evenly without grabbing.
Your car is really coming along nicely!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

So what's the next project for your car?

Quick Reply: Intake and Carb Upgrade