How wide can you go on a 67?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Default How wide can you go on a 67?

Hi, I'm new to the site so go easy on me.
I've got a 67 that I want to lower & put some 18-19"dia rims & wider rubber on it what needs to be done?
Links to where I can locate parts is fine by me. Also some pic's of what you have done?

Muzza.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The Evade camaro has the widest tires I've seen on a first gen. with out mini-tubs. In order for these wheel/rim combo to fit on a stock suspension, the shocks will have to be relocated to the inside of the frame rail. Hotchkis, amongst other companies, sells a relocation bar and axle brackets for the shocks to accomplish this.

The Evade has aftermarket control arms and frame so, I don't know if the 245's will work on the front of a stock frame.

Wheels:
  • Front: Forgeline VR3P 18 X 8.5 backspace: 5.90
  • Rear: Forgeline VR3P 19 X 10 backspace: 5.50* Tom Argue Design added the carbon fiber look in the centers
Tires:
  • Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 size :245/40ZR-18
  • Rear: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 size: 275/35ZR-19
Evade Camaro » Suspension_Evade Camaro

If you mini-tub you can fit 335s maybe 345s with custom backspacing. Mini-tubbing is expensive, about 7000$ on the low end. The short cost list: A new rear suspension, fuel tank, narrowed rear-end & axles, mini-tub wells, and installlation cost.

Last edited by juggernaut; 05-01-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have 295s on without tubbing

Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 67SuperSport
I have 295s on without tubbing
Awesome! What's your tire size and backspacing? Do they stick out the wheel wells? I'm going to be in the market for some new rims and tires after my car is painted.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 AM

The Evade set up is outstanding.............
I want to aviod mini-tubbing....just until I can afford it.
I'm on a buget so tubular front set up, coil-overs with a 2" drop spindle would give me max clearance in the front ??
Shocky relocator, 2" lowering block would be a good start for the rear?

Rim off-set & width of rims with Pic would be handy?
Howd you get 295's under it?

Thanks Guys
Muzza.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm on a buget so tubular front set up, coil-overs with a 2" drop spindle would give me max clearance in the front ??
Budget Tubular set up...lol that's an oxymoron. Notice the the stock A-arms and frame in my sig.

Check out this Wheel fitment database. It may shed some light on how much more meat tubular A-arms will get you.

Personally I think the Coil-overs will be a waste if you're going to keep the rear suspension stock.

Read through this drop spindle discussion. What may suprise you is Drop spindles are the wrong way to drop a camaro. It messes up the steering geometry when cornering. The right way is to pull the springs, get out ye trusty ole' hack saw and "cut-dem-b*****s*. If that a little too shade-tree for your taste, lowering coils are readily available.

2" lowering block would be a good start for the rear?
No one uses lowering blocks. Lowering leaf springs are cheap from Summit in 1, 2, and 3 inch drop.

Now, if you list the components above, minus the tubular A-arms, it starts to resemble a Hotchkis TVS system. That's what I pulled the trigger on. 2" drop springs front and rear (stiff springs), front and rear sway bars (camaros have terrible body roll), shock relocator, shocks, and bushings/bolts.

Last edited by juggernaut; 05-02-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

There technically 28 x 12.1. Ill get back with ya on the backspace I don't know it off the top of my head. Also had to move my rear shocks in.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by juggernaut
The Evade camaro has the widest tires I've seen on a first gen. with out mini-tubs. In order for these wheel/rim combo to fit on a stock suspension, the shocks will have to be relocated to the inside of the frame rail. Hotchkis, amongst other companies, sells a relocation bar and axle brackets for the shocks to accomplish this.

The Evade has aftermarket control arms and frame so, I don't know if the 245's will work on the front of a stock frame.

Wheels:
  • Front: Forgeline VR3P 18 X 8.5 backspace: 5.90
  • Rear: Forgeline VR3P 19 X 10 backspace: 5.50* Tom Argue Design added the carbon fiber look in the centers
Tires:
  • Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 size :245/40ZR-18
  • Rear: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 size: 275/35ZR-19
Evade Camaro » Suspension_Evade Camaro

If you mini-tub you can fit 335s maybe 345s with custom backspacing. Mini-tubbing is expensive, about 7000$ on the low end. The short cost list: A new rear suspension, fuel tank, narrowed rear-end & axles, mini-tub wells, and installlation cost.
Nice link, that suspension setup is a thing of beauty! Diggin the brakes too. (hey you gotta stop just as well as you can go fast right?)

Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM

Interesting & Appreciated info there Juggernaut I'll sit down when I get half a hour spare & try to take it all in..

Muzza.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Default Questions about suspension and tire set up.

Originally Posted by juggernaut
Budget Tubular set up...lol that's an oxymoron. Notice the the stock A-arms and frame in my sig.

Check out this Wheel fitment database. It may shed some light on how much more meat tubular A-arms will get you.

Personally I think the Coil-overs will be a waste if you're going to keep the rear suspension stock.

Read through this drop spindle discussion. What may suprise you is Drop spindles are the wrong way to drop a camaro. It messes up the steering geometry when cornering. The right way is to pull the springs, get out ye trusty ole' hack saw and "cut-dem-b*****s*. If that a little too shade-tree for your taste, lowering coils are readily available.

No one uses lowering blocks. Lowering leaf springs are cheap from Summit in 1, 2, and 3 inch drop.

Now, if you list the components above, minus the tubular A-arms, it starts to resemble a Hotchkis TVS system. That's what I pulled the trigger on. 2" drop springs front and rear (stiff springs), front and rear sway bars (camaros have terrible body roll), shock relocator, shocks, and bushings/bolts.
Hey i have a 67 camaro stock and i am getting the hotchiks tvs suspension lowering kit 2in front and 1.5 in the rear and i wanted to know what would i be able to get 18x7 in front and 18x9 in the back without rubbing dont want to cut. Hotchkis 80015: TVS Suspension System for 1967-1969 GM F-Body | JEGS