Getting a 68 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:32 AM
Default Getting a 68 Convertible

I'll be buying this 68' convertible sight unseen in a couple of days. Really nervous about this, but would like to get any feedback from others that have done sight unseen buys. Wouldn't be so nervous if it was from a muscle car dealer, but the private seller is a little nerve racking. Having the car shipped.

. A little background on the seller: He purchased the car a year and a half ago. He also bought it sight unseen. He had an independent car inspection done when he bought the car prior to having it shipped and has mailed me that report(pretty extensive). I didn't list anything of concern. He has also sent me about 100+ pictures. On the surface everything looks good, but we all know the old "car looks great at 20 feet phrase). I do have a relative that's going to do a walk around for me, but he's no where near a gear head and can probably on report back the car is there and it drives without any serious issue. I have no reason in the world to think the seller is misleading in anyway. The seller is not what I would call a gear head either and he bought the car in hopes of family summer rides, but that never panned out and the car just sits now. The under carriage looks like its never been touch so there is some minimal surface rust on things like control arms, pumpkin and other bits, but definately solid based on the report and the pictures.

Here's the description from the seller and some pictures of the car. I've done a lot of comps and believe I'm getting a solid buy if the car is what he says it is. Primarily I'm relying on the inspection report. Pictures are of the car from previous owner who sold the car to the current seller.
383 C.I. Stroker V8 Engine - Turbo-Hydramatic 400 Transmission - Holley Sniper EFI - Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake - Aluminum Holley Heads - 17" REV Classic 100 Wheels - Hedman Headers - Cowl Induction Hood - Power Steering - Power Front Disc Brakes - High-Performance Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tires - Red Interior w/ Bucket Seats & Center Console - Bluetooth Stereo- Black Convertible Top - Finished in Tuxedo Black w/ Red Stripes- Not a scratch on it- Excellent condition- Runs and Drives Incredible.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure the report it good and mostly solid car. If you have a friend who inspect, then do it. Like you said, looks pretty, but a lot can be hidden when covered in paint. The key is to look in all the crevasses that hide rust. That is your biggest unknown enemy. If the under carriage has not been touched, then that's what your friend need to inspect the most. Have him check the floor, rocker panels, trunk, wheel wells, fire wall, and frame rails. Also body bushings, and other suspension bushings (front and back) and connections to the frame. Check up and around the gas tank to see the trunk and back seat area and where the rear suspension at the wheel well. Also, the hard part that you don't see is the dash, window edges and cowl. Look inside at the door hinges at the window and up in the firewall area where the front fenders join with the fire wall and overlap the cowl. Even a well garaged car over 50 years will start to rust. It just takes a couple time when the windshield or windows or convertible leaks and soaks into the carpet padding and can rust from the inside out. Replacing carpet and padding is easy to cover rusty panels. Have your friend bring something to tap metal areas. Make sure there is a sold sound and seems structurally OK.

That's all I got... hope others can help out.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo86
I'm sure the report it good and mostly solid car. If you have a friend who inspect, then do it......
Thanks for the info. I've decided to fly down prior to wiring the money. I'll give the car a good once/twice over. Too much money to cheap out validating things are right or not.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xk49
Thanks for the info. I've decided to fly down prior to wiring the money. I'll give the car a good once/twice over. Too much money to cheap out validating things are right or not.
Smart move,I couldn't do a deal like that sight unseen,