Engine kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 05:03 PM
Default Engine kill switch

I have been thinking about adding an engine kill switch to my ‘68 Camaro LS3.
Has anyone put one in or have any recommendations?
Thanks!

Old 03-06-2023, 08:33 AM

I have a switch on steering column under dash, turns the starter on or off, works perfect.

Old 03-06-2023, 02:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So many ways, what is your goal? I would be tempted to hide a switch for the fuel pump. You can cut the power to the computer or as stated above cut the starter assuming the car can not be pushed started.

Nice part about a kill switch on the fuel pump is it could help is a fire. 45 PSI out of a fuel line can make for a pretty nice flame thrower.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-06-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

As Gorn said perfectly, “So many ways, what is your goal?” I suspect your goal is to continue to own your wonderful toy. Just bear in mind that you are only looking to defeat the ‘casual’ predator. The pro’s bring power tools, a wrecker or at least, a car dolly… Or maybe, guns.

I will be taking delivery of my ’68 coupe (“Ricky Camaro”) in the next month or so, and once back in my possession, will be installing a battery disconnect between the negative post of my battery and the engine ground bolt. This disconnects ALL battery to the vehicle via a remote on my key chain. Looks like this:

There are several such devices on the market. This is just the one I have selected.

Of course, this does no good unless you also secure your hood. I installed hood locks when I first bought the car, in the early ‘80’s. These are installed in the front corners of the hood and use round (difficult to pick) keys that lock the hood to the radiator support structure. They are still available for around $30.00, and look like this:

All you see is the chrome washer (aprox. 1½” diameter) with the small key lock in its center. This solution only works if you are willing to drill your hood. Personally, I don’t worship my car, but really love it and want to keep it. When it comes to defeating a normal predator, I guarantee it’s very difficult to hot wire a car that has no ‘hot’.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:37 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sears used to make a battery with a built in power lock out and a remote. When armed it would supply enough power to keep the computers and radios still charged but not enough to start or even run the car. If it was armed and someone tried to increase power draw, like turning on the interior lights, it would set off a internal alarm. I install a single under hood light that come on automaticly when the hood was opened. Even that would set off the alarm. No vibration or angle sensors. They stopped making it cause there was a flaw in the design that could catch fire. It was only 25% more then their best battery and came with a 5 year warranty. I owned one for 4 years and they gave me 100% refund.

I wish someone would pick up that design. A person would have to know to bring a battery to get past the system. To do that would require the hood to be opened. Course nothing stops a flatbed or tow truck/dolly. That seems like the tools of choice for Pros these days. I have even heard of thieves making their trucks as Repo companies in hopes no one would want to get involved in a repo.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-08-2023 at 06:44 AM.