dash wire harness replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Default dash wire harness replacement

I'm restoring a 69 SS/RS 396 with Muncie 20 trans. I've got about everything figured out on parts I'll need before starting on the restoration with exception of the under dash wiring harness. The existing front light, engine, and rear tail light harness are in really good shape, considering it's been sitting in a barn for nearly 16 years, but the front dash wring harness has 4 mystery splices and 3 plugs have had their wires cut. So, I'll complicate this even more since I'm putting in a console with gauge package. I picked up the console w/gauges and it's appropriate wiring harness and figured, at best, I'd have to only replace the dash wiring harness. American Auto wire tells me that their 97663 main harness will work on everything under the dash and will clip into the console with no problem. However their telling me now that I'll have to buy the engine and front light cluster as well because the firewall fuse panel will change and won't accept the OEM harnesses. All that said if I do buy all three harness I'll still have to figure out how to wire the AMP gauge in the floor console. I'd appreciate your thoughts on requiring all three harnesses and maybe an idea of how to hook up the amp meter (without having to buy a Volt meter to replace the Amp meter).

Old 01-18-2020, 03:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Red, to the club.
JMT's, if the other harnesses look good, I would keep looking for a dash replacement harness.
The ammeter is actually a millivoltmeter with one lead hooked up to horn relay buss bar and the other lead at the battery junction block.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Default Dash wrie harness replacement

Everett#2390 - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Amp meter wiring doesn't seem too complicated after your comment. Should be easy enough.
As for the harness. As most car reconditioning goes, a simple change from the original starts impacting how another piece fits, then another, then another.
Might be forced to get a painless whole car wiring package and just take the time to replace the whole shooting match, then I'll know what I have, where it is, and get replace the glass fuse box.
I'll try one more time with American Auto Wire and get a second opinion. Could be that I talked to a sales vs. tech agent.
Again, thanks.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 PM
4th Gear Member

You're welcome Good luck in your endeavor. Don't stop asking.
You might look into, maybe join, Camaro Research Group for an AIM as it has wiring diagrams and wiring for each additional option.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Hi Red. I'm in the process of doing the same with my 68. Just went through my harnesses too. I've been using Classic Industries for a lot of my stuff because it's listed as OEM replacement. They have an exact duplicate harness that should be right up your alley and it fits the original harnesses so you don't need to buy all new harnesses.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Warthog639. Appreciate your input. After looking at my options it made more sense to stick with Auto Wire. Tough to send back what components I had already bought since too much time had lapsed. My budget is wrapped up pretty tight and decided to stick with the conventional ignition, coil, points for now, just to get it running. Maybe next year I'll put in a black box and HEI distributor. If that happens I'll need to spend $60.00 to get the Auto Wire engine harness that will slip in as a direct replacement. So, I'm pretty much ready to get the jalopy up and running. Wishing you the best on your 69 project..