Convertible top replacement opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 12:41 PM
Default Convertible top replacement opinions

I have to replace the back window in my '69 Camaro, and I'm debating on what to do for replacement. I am considering whether to go with a white top (I have a white interior) or stay with a black top and what kind of back window to get; split glass, zip-in plastic, or original plastic. I've tried polishing the plastic and had some success, but not enough to make it safe to drive. I've heard bad about all of them. I know this crowd has an opinion and hopefully some helpful information on that decision. Pictures would be great too.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have had a few rag tops over the years and it has been my experience repairs only work in the short term. The plastic windows are bonded in on a press. Everyone will say just get it repaired but if you take it around most Pros will tell they will not do it and the few that will quote it will tell you no warranty and advise against it.

Here is what I was told by an expert that had retired.
Back windows seams popping is a normal part of the tops life cycle. The plastic windows are bonded in on a press at the factory. You cannot do as good a job at home as they did at the factory. The reason the plastic or glass separates is because the top shrinks. This makes the top too tight. Once the top has shrunk enough for the window to tear out the material is really too far gone for repairs. It will continue to shrink at a faster rate. You will see you door jams distance change and the chrome the tops receivers will start to tear. Keeping the car in the garage and the top being white does slow the process. The biggest tell for a top that has already shrunk too much after the window pops it the fact it starts to expose the door weather stripping. A top should completely cover the windows upper weather strip.

Of course you can use some of the more modern silicones and try to glue in a replacement. It got me through a season one year. My info is about 15 years old so there could be new stuff out but shrinking is the material degrading.

As for color, I really like the black top but I now understand why so many convertible come with white top and white interiors. Black tops get hot in the sun. Since my car is black top, black interior and no AC I try to avoid Hot sunny day drives. If I really want to take it then its top up and hope you do not get stuck in traffic. With more modern cars with AC and a nice head liner black is not an issue.