Convertible sprung a leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Default Convertible sprung a leak

Recently while lowering the power top on my 1969, I kind of had to help it to the down position and once there, I smelled a very wrong odor, hydraulic fluid. So I removed both the seat and backrest, and hit the switch for the top. Sure enough, a pin hole in the linewhere it curved up to the hydraulic cylinder had faultered. Itried to replace the line at a local shop, but he said he could only help me with a repair. Looking for replacementrecommendationsand also what kind of hydaulic fuild to replenish the pump, hose and cylinders. If there is a special technique for filling these components, that wouldalsobe very much appreciated.
Thanks...
RaZoR

Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Default RE: Convertible sprung a leak

OK, I have ordered a replacement hose kit from Classic Industries, much better price than I expected. Still need some help after installing the kit with topping off the hydraulic fluid. If there is anyone who can give me some pointers, such as type of hydraulic fluid and how to bleed the air from system, or any other important information, that would be very much appreciated.
RaZoR

Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM

OK...my replacement hydraulic hoses have arrived, but still need advice...is there anyone out there???

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten any answers. I know nothing about vert tops and their hydraulic systems. I would think your replacement line kit would come with some info, perhaps the supplier could tell you what kind of fluid.
Clyde

Old 09-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks Clyde, guess I will have to consult with Classic Industries, in fact, they located out west and I'm on the East Coast so I can call them now. Hopefully they can point me right. I have also tried the technical advisor in a club I'm a paying member, but haven't recieved any feedback. Will post any info I gain from the West Coast.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Clyde,
Classic Industries was not as helpful as I had hope. I searched the Internet and came across this website http://store.convertibleparts.com/index.htmlwho had a toll free numberfor technicial questions. After talking to a guy name Jan, he certainly pointed me in the right direction. Basically, after replacing the hydraulic lines and removing the old fluid (which happened to be brake fluid in the old days), he advised me there should be a filling point on the pump itself. Mine was rubber, so he said to remove the rubber plug and use type III transmission fluid. He said to run the top up and down several times (with the plug removed)to remove any excess air.In addition, he saidto alwaysfill the pump housing with the top down, or things can get real messy. This guy really help me out and I will do allmy convertible top business with them in the future. In fact, the onlyproblem I had with this job was the dry rottedacorn bushingsthat secured the pump housingtothe car.So, I will ordertheseparts from...convertibleparts.com. Problem of "convertible sprung a leak" is now history, hopefully someone may need this information in the future.
Keep em between the lines...
RaZoR

Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you got it sorted out, sounds like you made a good connection for vert parts.
Clyde

Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

Yeah, good conv. parts company, just ordered a new rebuild kit for the hydraulic motor. Came with all the gaskets, mounts and oil fill plug and was shipped the next day. Thanks guys...