Coil spring removal update.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Coil spring removal update.......

I posted the question weeks back about how to get my coil springs out of my subframe, which was removed from another car.

After trying multiple compressors which were not compatible, I used a 3/4 inch threaded rod with double nuts on each end and triple washers. It went amazingly well. Had to open the upper shock hole up to accept the rod, and used a short section of 3/8 thick aluminum bar stock under the lower control arm. Once the rod was hand tight, it was maybe 5 rounds on the nut to relieve the pressure which allowed the removal of all control arm bolts. Then it took 10-15 rounds on the nut to let the coil expand.

Thanks to all that responded to the original question. I took away from those inputs the importance of safety in dealing with these springs. An invaluable lesson.

Now for the next step. I will be restoring the subframe, control arms, brakes and replacing all the bushings/ball joints on this frame. Then it needs to go into the car. I do recall that some of you said the entire clip could be removed together. Is it best to try and remove the sheetmetalas a whole or in pieces? I removed the sheetmetal from the donor car as a single unit. It was a bit crude though. I shutter at the thought of flexing the fenders out far enough to clear the inner fenders and firewall in order to remove the unit as a single mass. I am really leaning towards removing each component individually.

Thanks again for the posts.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Coil spring removal update.......

You can pull the front clip off as a single unit but, it helps to have a friend over when you do it because you need to spread the fenders away from the inner wells along the firewall section.

I then tore it down to individual panels so I could do my repairs.

TIP: remember to watch for the brake lines when reassembling the subframe to the body. These can bend and crimp very easily and these items are not cheap!