Blinker Issues Anyone?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I hate to disagree, but a bad ground wont allow a path, unless there IS a path between the two feed wires. Since the blinkers are a separate wire, common only to the brake lights, it wouldn't feed back on the lighting system unless there was a wire reversed, a lamp in backwards, or a short. If it could travel through the ground it would take the path of least resistance, and go to the battery.
Now if the problem was shwoing up on everything (lights, flashers, blinkers, headlights, etc) then I would surely suspect a ground issue. All the side marker lights, tail lights, headlights, and running lights have a common feed, and so if one lost it's ground it would try to feed back through all the common others.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM
lwh
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with dynarider33. I've had something like this before. It was the light socket shorting between the two contacts on the bulb.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I hate to disagree, but a bad ground wont allow a path, unless there IS a path between the two feed wires. Since the blinkers are a separate wire, common only to the brake lights, it wouldn't feed back on the lighting system unless there was a wire reversed, a lamp in backwards, or a short. If it could travel through the ground it would take the path of least resistance, and go to the battery.
Now if the problem was shwoing up on everything (lights, flashers, blinkers, headlights, etc) then I would surely suspect a ground issue. All the side marker lights, tail lights, headlights, and running lights have a common feed, and so if one lost it's ground it would try to feed back through all the common others.
Originally Posted by botts68
I have a 68 camaro and when you turn on the headlights the left blinker light comes on in the dash and stays on. The blinker does not come on outside of the car. However when you turn the left blinker on, the light in the dash blinks accordingly with the outside lights (however it blinks very slow) and then when you shut it off the blinker light in the dash comes back on steady.
Both blinkers work fine other than the left indicator light comming on with the headlights.
1971, I hate to disagree with you disagreeing, but I do. The above statements (in bold) by botts68 is what prompted my previous response. Based on what he said, his issue isn't with the blinkers when the headlights are turned on, only with the one indicator light in the dash. And his blinkers and dash indicators are working as they should, other than being slow, which is an indication of a possible bad ground.
So how could a bad ground cause the one blinker light in the dash to go on with the headlights? Glad you asked! When the headlights go on, so do the back lights in the gauges. All the light bulbs in the gauge cluster have one thing in common, they share the same common ground connection on the back of the cluster, so they are interconnected.
I'm not saying it's absolutely positively a bad ground. But I have experienced the same kind of feedback problem more than once before, where it was a ground issue. Also checking for good clean connections between the dash bulbs and cluster wouldn't hurt either.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by botts68
All the bulbs do work. I'm afraid it is a ground but I kind've was hoping it isnt. That can be like finding a needle in a haystack! As for the relay is it just called a blinker or turn signal relay?

Thanks
I accept with information: If it does, then check the lamp installation, and also wires for any repairs or shorts. Do this with one lamp at a time! Front lamp, and then rear lamp, until you see which one is the culprit.