Bigger bill than expected

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bigger bill than expected

also ask them whats wrong with the tranny pan. if its just leaking a little bit then it probably just needs a gasket. the only reason it would need to be replaced is if its all dented to hell or has a hole. and if it had a hole then it would be leaking ALOT.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah it sounds a little weird to me... However...if you ask them "Can I purchase all the parts I need on my own and have you simply do the labor? How much and how long?" if you ask them that questions, they will say something like "well, we get a discount on parts and we pass that on to you,the customer" that is total BS... Well, they DO get a discount on parts probably, but they DO NOT pass that onto the customer. I worked at a shop where they charged more for the parts than if you were to but them yourself... that is one of the reasons I left... Go to www.napaonline.com or www.autozone.com and see if you can find the header gasket and whatnot... My bet is that you will be surprised how inexpensive it actually is....

Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 250motorsportz

Well I took my 69 camaro that I just bought last week into the shop today to get a header gasket changed and the mechanic told me also that the distributor on the car wasn't the right one? The choke and throttle weren't correctly adjusted, my transmission fluid pan needs to be replaced (was leaking a little bit the past few days), my shifter is rubbing on my headers and they can't find a solution to it? And my tail pipes were rubbing on my rear springs. The car should be all fixed up, tuned and ready to go by thursday or friday. Estimated total was $500. Is this right? Am I getting ripped off?
Only you will know that.

First, ask them to walk you threw and show you what they are mentioning as needed repairs. It could possibly all be legit reasons. If they are happy to show you then you can make a informed decision. If you choose to do some or all, that is fine with most shops.

Would you be happy with the shop if they replaced your header gasket and then you heard the exhaust rubbing in the rear? Would you assume then tweaked the exhaust? Would you give them grief over other issues you noticed once they finished the car for what you asked to have done?

What condition is your 69 in? Is it prisitine? For the amount your mentioning and the work they could be doing on a pristine car it may very well be in line. Would you be happy with a half *** cheaper job on a pristine car?

As for the comments towards mechanics and shops. It's too bad you've had bad experiences, maybe finding the shop that fits your needs are in order. To the comment that "purchase my own parts". Well, do you walk into a bar with a twelve pack and ask for a glass of ice so you can have your beer cold?

Shops sell parts to stay in business. If they didn't most would have a much higher labor rate. Does that mean I won't install customer parts, no. I do, on occasion for specific needs or reasons but on 90% of the work I do there is no way I am installing something a customer brings to me. Why? What happens when the widget you bought and I installed fails? Are you going to be happy there is no warranty? Are you going to be happy your charged again? What if the widget you bring is wrong, or of a lesser quality that causes damage. Who are you going to point fingers at then? Or if I have the car torn apart waiting on your supplied parts and then they are wrong. Now the car is on the hoist longer and I watch my work load back up, and loss money due to a loss of effciency.

Upselling work is apart of the automotive repair industry. Looking a car over for issues is something I do on every job. Many of these are safety issues. Bad brakes, bad tires, worn suspension. Things people won't see or won't know are that bad. Leaks, squeks, poor running. All issues that could cost a customer more in the future if they let them get too bad. I'll present the customer with the issues, and tell them if they'd like a estimate I'd be glad to do it, if they would like it pointed out I'd be glad to do it, and if they would rather pass on the work I am satisfied they are aware of the situation so when a week goes by and they notice oil on the driveway they aren't upset because they are aware of why it's there.

For your Camaro. Would you be happy if the distributor was wrong, and it caused a lean condition because of to much advance, and you burned a valve up? A misadjusted idle causing a rich condition and you foul out a set of plugs? A rear exhaust pipe that is rubbing then gets tweaked and ruins the exhaust? A trans leak that goes major and then your buying a rebuild? I'm not saying these things will or could be happening, I'm playing devils advocate trying to give you a different perspective on things.

Talk with the SA or SM of the shop and ask them to show you the things your Camaro has wrong, ask for a explanation and what they will do. If you choose any of their work ask for the old parts back,

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay. Williesrepair has a valid point. I was looking at it from my perspective. I do almost all of my own work. I always get mad when I have to take any one of my cars to a mechanic because I don't have the right tools or the skills to do a job right. When I get the bill, I'm always upset because I feel that I could have done the job myself for less... HOWEVER, that extra money I am paying gets me the warranty, the time that I would spend making the repair(which is usually at least twice the length of a professional) and the comfort that if it goes south on me, then I have someone to hold responsible. I am lucky though because i have a garage, alift, a big a$$ compressor and time to do the work that I need to.

I guess that I never really thought of it from a business standpoint. But then again, I never really have needed to...

Old 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlightMechYJ68

Okay. Williesrepair has a valid point. I was looking at it from my perspective. I do almost all of my own work. I always get mad when I have to take any one of my cars to a mechanic because I don't have the right tools or the skills to do a job right. When I get the bill, I'm always upset because I feel that I could have done the job myself for less... HOWEVER, that extra money I am paying gets me the warranty, the time that I would spend making the repair(which is usually at least twice the length of a professional) and the comfort that if it goes south on me, then I have someone to hold responsible. I am lucky though because i have a garage, alift, a big a$$ compressor and time to do the work that I need to.

I guess that I never really thought of it from a business standpoint. But then again, I never really have needed to...
No worries man, I was looking at it from my perspective also. I have done customer parts, usually high performance stuff, mods, aftermarket rims or racing stuff that I can't get a good deal or the customer will actually by it for the same price as I could.

Or if the customer is in a jam, or had a shop lined up and they bailed on them, or if the moons are aligned just right or.....