Air conditioning and Alarm for 1st Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Default Air conditioning and Alarm for 1st Gen.

Has anyone here added A/C or an Alarm System to their car? I'm going to be driving it daily and I live in Tampa ~where it's really hot and cars like this get stolen a lot. Basically I'm wondering if it will take away from the value of the car, or possibly add to it?
Do you have to cut the dash to add A/C vents?
Since the hoods don't lock down howdo you make sure someone doesn't just open your hood and disconnect the alarm?
If you know a good alarm system for the older cars please let me know!
Thx,
*Jamai*

Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Air conditioning and Alarm for 1st Gen.

I put a rocker type toggle switch under the drivers seat that is wired directly into the ignition wire to the distributor. It isn't visible and every thing looks normal, but the car won't start when I switch the circuit open. Just don't forget when you set it 'causethe enginewill just turn over and not fire.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Try the forum on Electronics -stereos and the like. They would have more experience with alarms. Most stereo guys do.

AC... never added that, but it sounds like a ton of parts exchanging. I know a lot of people who run Vintage Air systems. The problem with the standard equipment AC systems is that they never got that cold. The newer units are running a different chemical base and cool more efficiently.
What year is your car? Cause in my '69 it had vents in the dash already, just no AC. Pick up a parts book for your model, National Parts Depot or Classic Industries, etc. Also, do a search for after market AC systems. Vintage Air will be one of those. Take a look at what they have in their "Sure Fit" series. They often use the updated HFC 134a refrigerant which is much cooler than the old R-12.

I know it's not much of an answer, but maybe it will steer you in the right direction.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I just remembered something. For the hood issue. I did find a company a few years back that had hood looks. It was a cable that ran into the the opening hinge and you could release the pin from inside... similar to today's hood release in most modern cars or gas cover release. But, whatever you do, make it your own.

Don't go with a standard alarm for any reason!
The criminals learn from these alarm installation shops and know the methods and placement of all the components, just like "hackers" do with computers, and its easy to get around it. Some type of KILL system will have to do, remote or manual. Talk to a local shop and find out how custom they can make it for you, then contemplate a few variations of your own.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the answers! I heard before not to trust the alarm shops too much because sometimes the'll keep copy of keys, etc... So I plan on going out of town to a guy I know to get it done. Maybe I can get the alarm, hood lock, and a kill switch. That should be enough to keep people out!
Are there any alarms that are impossible or more difficult to disarm? (Sorry if I come across as paranoidbut my insurance only covers "Actual Cash Value"and I will have much more than that invested in this car~ Ireally don't want anything to happen to it!!!)

Also, mine is a 67. It has an A/C control panel but no vents (unless they are kindof under the dash, I didn't look that hard.) I'll look around for the vintage A/C, I actually have a few catalogs I just ordered. Thanks everyone~
*Jamai*

Old 07-19-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

You might want to consider a interrupt switch for an electrical fuel pump as well. I designed a set-up back in the days when "car-jacking" was so popular. The switch was triggered remotely which I always had in my pocket. If someone was to drive off in my car, I could shut off the gas supply from a safe distance. A few hundred feet later, the engine would die, they would bolt and I could get my car back.

Think about it.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Vintage Air makes great systems. I have installed a couple of them in different cars and it is a straight forward procedure. you can even get systems with all electronic servos instead of regular slide switches. they do make a couple direct fit kits for the Camaro

Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM

you can do a full A/C system for about 1200 now... and they are reallly nice and you dont have to cut into the dash... it just comes wtih the vents that go into the center right by the radio.... they are suposed to be easy to install and shouldnt take more then 5 or 6 hours...

Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 PM

$1200, is that the Vintage Air system? I haven't looked it up yet. I'd like to avoid cutting the dash if possible...