After market part issues and headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default After market part issues and headers

I am about 5 months into fixing up a 69 Camaro and have been shocked at the poor quality of some of the after market parts. Some have been good and others just do not work at all. The latest issue is with the steering kit I purchased to convert from the standard wheel to a comfort grip wheel. It was all part of a kit, the wheel is pretty good quality and the hub looks good but the horn assembly that the cap snaps on is non functional. It appears to be manufactured completely wrong and when comparing it to the assembly on my corvette teak wheel it is obviously poorly manufactured. I will be returning it but wondered if anyone has any ideas as to who makes a good quality part? I also need to replace the small block long tube headers and my car has power steering. The set on the car now have been beat in to clear the steering box and I wondered if anyone has experience and could tell me a brand of headers that fit well with power steering with out fit issues. When this is all tco I will be starting on lowering the car about an inch or 2 as it sits higher than stock, it has 5 leave springs in the back which ride very hard and seem to have to much rebound when you go over dips in the road. The fronts are a little high due to aluminum heads on the motor so it overall needs to be about 2 inches lower. Any ideas of rear leaves that ride nice would be good, not interested in a drag car just want it to ride normal.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

My 55 chevy had a 69 camaro clip in it (no i didn't kill a 69 someone else did) and i used the Jegs afterburner headers on it and it had ps--THO looking at my 67 the origional exhaust manifolds are just as close to the steering box as it was on the 55--IF i put headers on my 67 those are the ones i'll try--get the shorty spark plugs and the smaller head bolts also--They are a B*tch to put on by yourself i might add too

Last edited by Glenns-67SS; 09-07-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelin