68 few problems questions Brakes n Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Default 68 few problems questions Brakes n Starting

Hey guys, my gem has sat for 2 years now that i was going through a divorce. I am now trying to get the project back on track. It used to start and run great (with a jump do to wiring draining battery) but today it cranked over real wellfor about 10sec. or so. I let off the key, went to crank again and no cranking. It was a brand new battery. The starter was a new mini that used to work great 2 yrs ago. The car has never seen rain. Wires all seem tight. Any ideas/ or a plan of path to test from start to end. Next. I had this problem ever since i did a power disk brake conversion. Power disk front, drum rear. All new up front parts except distribution block, and all rear end parts were original. (to what lol). When i got all my retard mistakes fixed (so i think) the car stops great. But taking off, the front brakes drag. If i hit gas hard the rear wheels spin. If i take off slowly it is ok, but easy to tell fronts are holding some. Someone once told me it could be angle of master cylinder/booster. Then ofcourse i got tons of other "suggestion". I am looking for someone who has been here and has a real suggestion. I have been doing everything myself complete frame off resto to the 2yr break. Now i want to get it going again. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since the car has been sitting a while, check for corrosion at the battery connections, your hot lead on the starter, the ignition wire on the starter, the ground lead to the frame, and frame to engine ground wire/strap.
For the brakes, check at your brake pedal and make sure you have a little bit of free play. It sounds like pressure may be getting applied to the master cylinder by the brake pedal when it's supposed to be in the relaxed position. If the pedal feels tight, loosen the adjustment on the pedal to master rod.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

since you had the brake problem from day one, did you have manual drum before? did you change the position (different hole) of the rod connecting to your brake pedal?

also, are you sure you bought the right length rod that goes between the master and the booster, after you converted? that sounds more like a possible scenario to me