2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light flashing under weird circumstances

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Question Engine light flashing under weird circumstances

I have a 2010, and last spring during the rainy season (in 2015), the engine light would start flashing whenever:
1. It was not raining whenever it occurred, but it had rained a lot in the previous 24 hours
2. The car had been parked for several hours

It would start up fine, but then once I got up some speed it would start jerking, losing power, then the engine light would start flashing. I would pull off the road, shut the car off, take off the gas cap, put it back on, start the car and be on my way with no further problems. I tried turning off the car without removing the gas cap and the light would still flash when I started it back up. My mechanic ran codes, and strangely enough, there weren't any!!! He was completely stumped. I wondered if he thought I was making it up. When the weather got warmer and we no longer got rain regularly, it stopped happening.

The car hasn't done it since then, including when it's been rainy, until yesterday. As before, we've gotten plenty of rain lately and taking off the gas cap solved the problem.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be??? It's crazy!!

Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Cammie.
When cap is removed, is the pressure a vacuum on the tank or a pressure on the tank?
Does cap get shoved into your hand when unscrewed?
If so, and even if a vacuum, there should be a vent line running to charcoal cannister for vapors and this cannister should have a relief valve.

As Camaro is driven, gas tank, being on bottom, gets heated from engine/trans heat, and road heat. Physics says anything heated, pressure builds within a closed chamber.
Since EPA doesn't want vapors in the o-zone, OEM's installed cannister for absorbing vapors and when engine is started and at operating temp, PCM will open cannister valve and engine will suck in those flumes absorbed. So, I would look there.

You might purchase a Haynes manual from your local auto parts store for reference.