Camaro vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Camaro vs Challenger

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

just a feeling. because of the way it looks. just looks... boaty. lol.

as for the aftermarket with mopar, people were saying not much is available for the HEMI, and i said i know people who run those numbers. meaning there HAS to be aftermarket avaialable somewhere
Well there have certainly been some full bore race cars that"looked boaty" but were actually not real heavy and excellent performers, weight does not necessarily have anything to do with how it looks. "Feeling", "looks", etc. have nothing to do with actual weight. As for some MOPARpeople running those numbers, I don't doubt that there are, but again you are talking about MODIFIED not stock, plain and simple. I thought this thread was about the relative merits of the two different cars in factory release form. Hell, if you want to talk modified I can show you some incredible numbers from full blown race Camaros from a few years back, the same can be done with newCamaros.
Clyde

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 PM

I agree and also believe the new Camaro will be pretty heavy. EVERY other car from the Mustang, to the Charger, to the Challenger to the new GTO have gotten heavier than older gens, no reason to think the Camaro wont. Especially after standing 5 feet from it at the auto show. I expect it to weigh at least 3700 lbs, probably closer to 3800.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM

I pulled these specs off edmunds.com for the 08 Challenger; Length: 197:8, Width: 78.6, Height: 57, Wheelbase: 116
In fact I seem to have read that the Challenger ended up being one-inch longer that the 300 platform it's based from, with only the wheelbase being shortened. So the Challenger isn't exactly a small car.
I'm just hoping the new Camaro isn't real long, wide I don't mind so much, but since I've always been a fan of small carsI'm hoping it is lot shorter than the Challenger.I'm hoping GM eventually offers aZ28 convertible, regardless I do want a V8. Performace wisethe higher you go,the higher the price tag,and thenyou're into usedC6s territory.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:49 PM

at first i heard the camerro2009 was going to be 70 grand but then i found out it only going to be 25 grand withall the toys but it think it will be a great car with 400 horsepower under the hood i have to say i like the camero better then the challenger if it were mei'd buy the camero over the challenger but iam a chevy person but you have aright to be a challenger fan to each his own

Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM

rather have the challenger based on looks. BTW do you guys understand that your comparing two cars that havn't even come out yet?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Sween

rather have the challenger based on looks. BTW do you guys understand that your comparing two cars that havn't even come out yet?
lol, thats a really good point. as far as the speculation goes though I do think its valid to compare the challenger to the charger. they are supposed to be very similar, and the charger is just disappointing when compared to what it could have been

Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the first good spy picture I've seen of the 2009 Charger R/T. It looks pretty much the same as the SRT8 except for no racing stripes and probably smaller rims.

Also, it appears that the reason why the R/T is a year behind the SRT8 is because the 5.7 liter hemi is being upgraded and isn't quite ready yet. It's now going to have variable valve timing, and in the Dodge Ram it's been quoted as having 380hp and 404lb of torque. The updated hemi is much needed since the car is so heavy. If Dodge can sella no frills manualR/T for $30k (the srt8 is $40k) then that's going to be a very nice car indeed.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

In the latest Hot Rod issue they state thatthere wont be a manual trans till next year, and the SRT8 will have 425 BHP.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the look of the challenger much more than the new camaro. IMO the camaro just isn't aggressive enough looking, hopefully aftermarket will produce a meaner, more pronounced hood. That could definently help out in the looks department. It just doesn't have that muscle car feel to it for me. Even though i'm not a mustang guy, i hate to admit that i've seen a few of the newer ones with a hood scoop, rear window vents, the whole package, and they look mean.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OMG wow....that thing is so bad *** lookin wow[sm=badbadbad.gif] wow but....the camaro is bad asser...so maybe if they teamed up...ya kno they could be bad *** partners...

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Challenger