Camaro vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Default RE: Camaro vs Challenger

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

first of all
The 425-hp V8 hooks to a five-speed automatic transmission with a manual-shift mode. It also uses a sturdier prop shaft, beefier rear differential and stronger axles, making it identical to the drivetrain used in the Chrysler 300C SRT-8 we tested last year. That car pulled a 5.7-second 0-to-60 time and ran through the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 105 mph. Putting the Charger through similar testing netted a 5.4 0-to-60 time while taking 13.5 seconds to clear the quarter-mile at 105 mph. With curb weight, tire size and gearing the same in both models we can only conclude that the Charger's cold-air induction is really working. Well, that and the usual variances between test vehicles and testing conditions.

While i know 13.5 is not all this car is capable of, that IS Mustang territory. and a 105 trap speed (thank god they gave that, because most people just tell u the ET) means we are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of low 13s. I dont know if ive ever seen a documented 12 on any srt8 vehicle. The best shot would probably be the magnum sad to say....

as per the bold part, the showroom stock record for Fbodies is not held by an SS but a z28. the SS and z28 have exactly the same power in late model fbodies. and that record is 12.8.
They are talking about the CHARGER, we are talking about the CHALLENGER. No one has road tested it yet. Besides, a 5.4 0-60 and a 13.5 1/4 mile in a Charger SRT8 means it was driven by a gimp. That about what the R/T runs. The SRT8 is 5 seconds flat to low 5s 0-60 and low 13s to 13 flat 1/4 mile in every test and real life situations I have seen. The Challenger is lighter and with the 6 speed MT, it should easily beat those times by a half second making it a high 4 second 0-60 and high 12 1/4 mile car.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

im a old school MOPAR fan, and Ram1500 Lover. other than that chevy > all.... but MOPAR is bringing old school back, and is doing better than anyone else at it(for looks) so far. hopefully it performs just like the y use to.. but didnt hte old ones use to be boats too? and yet, they were some of the fiercest things around..

also, i thought there was ALOT available for the HEMI? the "wells boys" around here, all they have is lowered dodge trucks, dakotas, hemis, and SRTs. and not a single one is slower than a 12. there fastest is a 9 or so. alot of them they run with the 19, 20, 21, and 22 inch rims too. beds, full interiors, and all that.
A little simple math should show that the new Challenger is not likely to turn out impressive 1/4 mile times or speeds from the factory, if I recall correctly it weighs about 4,150 pounds, that's a lot of weight to move quickly. If you want to talk about aftermarket or MOPAR performance parts after purchase, well that's no longer stock, that would be modified. And you can do that with any brand, your results will be in proportion to how much you spend modifying it. What's the highest Hemi HP from the factory, 425? Now who is likely too turn better quarter miles, Challenger at 425HP/4,150lbs or Camaro at 430HP/3,750lbs?
Clyde

Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Mr. E

They are talking about the CHARGER, we are talking about the CHALLENGER. No one has road tested it yet. Besides, a 5.4 0-60 and a 13.5 1/4 mile in a Charger SRT8 means it was driven by a gimp. That about what the R/T runs. The SRT8 is 5 seconds flat to low 5s 0-60 and low 13s to 13 flat 1/4 mile in every test and real life situations I have seen. The Challenger is lighter and with the 6 speed MT, it should easily beat those times by a half second making it a high 4 second 0-60 and high 12 1/4 mile car.
the challenger weighs about 100lbs lighter than the charger. i dont know where ur getting half second, and i personally havent seen those times out of the charger. The cars should be very close in performance.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry E but i have to agree with everyone else, the Challenger is well over 4000lbs. It takes a LOT to get something that big in the 12s, and the 6.1 liter "hemi" (i put it in parenthesis because it's not really hemispherical anymore) isn't enough for anything better than low 13's. I doubt the 5.7 liter will get below a 14 either. At least it will look good doing it though.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM

hmmm. I would think a 6 speed MT with a good driver is good for at least a few tenths of a second less. The auto transmission isnt that great. That coupled with it being a bit lighter. Even if it runs 13 flat, its still faster than a GT and I seriously doubt a new V8 Camaro is going to run any better. I think only an SS version will dip into the 12s stock. So yea, the Challenger will be able to compete just fine.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
4th Gear Member

i have a feeling the new camaro's are gonna be a boat too.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

i have a feeling the new camaro's are gonna be a boat too.
Well how about sharing where your "feeling" data is coming from, I think you're completely wrong on this one.
Clyde

Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
4th Gear Member

just a feeling. because of the way it looks. just looks... boaty. lol.

as for the aftermarket with mopar, people were saying not much is available for the HEMI, and i said i know people who run those numbers. meaning there HAS to be aftermarket avaialable somewhere

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mr. E

hmmm. I would think a 6 speed MT with a good driver is good for at least a few tenths of a second less. The auto transmission isnt that great. That coupled with it being a bit lighter. Even if it runs 13 flat, its still faster than a GT and I seriously doubt a new V8 Camaro is going to run any better. I think only an SS version will dip into the 12s stock. So yea, the Challenger will be able to compete just fine.
hmmmmm, would not the hipo Hemi version be equivalent to an SS? So why would there be a requirement for anything less than an SS or Z/28 version to offer top of the line performance, I don't really understand your convoluted thinking. Sorry, I don't think a 4,100 lb or greater Challenger with 425 HP will be anymore than an also ran, no really outstanding performance.
Clyde

Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 PM
4th Gear Member

i was never arguing the Hemi would beat out the SS/Z.. i just have a feeling that BOTH are gonna be boats, and more so designed for the older people, to bring back child hood dreams.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Challenger