Camaro vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Camaro vs Challenger

The production Challenger was shown at the Chicago auto show along with some stats (for the SRT-8 only). I think the Challenger looks just as good as the 5th gen Camaro, but I just don't know if the Challenger is going to be able to compete with the new Camaro, or even the Mustang GT. The new Challenger is only about 60 lbs lighter than the Charger, and it looks like it's going to get the same engines. That means that the $38k Challenger SRT-8 isn't like going to bemuch faster than the current Mustang GT which is much cheaper. And what does that say for the R/T which will follow a year behind the SRT-8? If you can assume that it will cost and perform similar to the Charger R/T, then it will still be well above $30k and will perform very similar to my '96 LT1 Camaro! I hope the new Camaro blows these prices and performance numbers out of the water, or else it might be DOA. All of that said, if I can get a Challenger R/T with a lifetime powertrain warranty which is a big deal to me(that warranty isn't offered on the SRT-8) and it looks like these stock production pictures below, I just might have to give it a look.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Camaro vs Challenger

New challenger > New Camaro

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheStig

New challenger > New Camaro
That's not something you're going to hear much on a Camaro forum. Why do you say that? Of course we don't have official numbers on the Camaro yet, but I think the only thing the Challenger might have on the new Camaro is possibly a lifetime warranty on the R/T. The Challenger is probably going to be heavier, slower, and more expensive. I like both cars a lot though.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Ninja Administrator

i like the looks of it. they could have made it much lighter though. but the srt8 version will be pretty sweet. much better than the damned charger.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 AM
2nd Gear member

I think they are sick looking, but they are more of a brick on wheels than a brick on wheels. lol.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear member

I dont think the srt8 is worth what there asking for it....If the R/T is cheap cheap I might get one. I love the looks of them but....the performance in the 1/4 is the only thing that turns me off.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:58 AM

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]I don'tcare forthe new Challenger, but that's just my opinion.I had an 07 Charger for 6 monthsand HATED it! I had the3.5 V6 and the power was ok, the ride was rough, felt every bump and shudder. The trans wasclicky, seemed to not want to stay in gear. The lifetime warranty Chrysler has out isn't all it's cracked up to be either. I think the Camaro is a better choice for me. It has a classy butmuscle carlook and it's a Chevy what more could you ask for? I grew up in Camaros, my dad had 3! My sis has a 68 she's restoring, and my hubby has a 74, so I want to add my own to the mix. Burnt Orange w/charcoal shimmerghost racing stripes!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

I do like the looks of the challenger too. Hopefully it wont be another whale on wheels.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Why is the lifetime warranty not all its cracked up to be? The only problems I can see is that it doesn't cover SRT-8 models and the future of Chrysler is less than definite.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:40 PM

Not any faster than a Mustang GT? Dodge says the Challenger SRT8 is good for a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds with the auto. Thats believable considering the Charger SRT8 is 5 seconds flat 0-60 and its heavier. One would assume the 6 speed with a good driver might even be a tenth or two faster...thats for sure faster than a GT and will be faster than any new Camaro without an SS badge on it. I am sure they will compete just fine.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Challenger