Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  
Go Back   Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum > Fourth Generation (1993-2002) > 93-02 Drivetrain > 93-02 V6 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member
No cars in tipdrip215's garage, add now

Send a message via AIM to tipdrip215
Default the common but mysterious radio and power window problem.....

has now hit me. ill elaborate more than anyone else has on when i experience it. for the most part, its only a problem on hot summer days, usually doesnt happen at night, but sometimes it will. however, i can recall 2 or 3 times when it happened to me this winter too. as with the other cases, when my radio goes out (stock delco am/fm/cd) my windows dont work either. im sure that over time its going to get to where i cant do this as easily, but most of the time i can bang on the dashboard and get the radio to come back on and my windows work again when it happens. sometimes when i hit the window switch the radio will go out again, and the windows wont do anything before it does. some days even hitting the dashboard doesnt work unless i also hold down one of the window buttons when i do. also, if it does happen at any point while im driving, the RAP doesnt kick in when i turn the car off when i get to wherever it is im going, the radio just turns off like on any normal car. only when i make a trip without the radio and windows going out does the RAP work properly when i turn the ignition off. does anyone know for sure what this problem might be based on the above info? and if so, im a relative noob to wiring and stuff. if anyone knows how to do it id also like a step by step process on how i would go about fixing it, pics preferred too but not required if youre specific enough. thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Droid
No cars in z28pete's garage, add now

Depending on model year the car, a RAP module or a BCM module is used to feed power to acessories. These modules look at door contacts and ignition switch contacts to determine if they should feed power to the acessories (power windows, radio, etc.) If you have a RAP module you can just plug one in a new module, if the car uses a BCM, then besides plugging in a n ew module, you will need to program the BCM to recognize your existing ignition keys.
Make sure the door switches are working correctly before changing things.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member
No cars in tipdrip215's garage, add now

Send a message via AIM to tipdrip215

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pete View Post
Depending on model year the car, a RAP module or a BCM module is used to feed power to acessories. These modules look at door contacts and ignition switch contacts to determine if they should feed power to the acessories (power windows, radio, etc.) If you have a RAP module you can just plug one in a new module, if the car uses a BCM, then besides plugging in a n ew module, you will need to program the BCM to recognize your existing ignition keys.
Make sure the door switches are working correctly before changing things.
well its a 97. i guess that automatically means it would use RAP?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Overdrive Member
No cars in 02StanGT's garage, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to 02StanGT

I was going to suggest the RAP as well.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

i don't have an issue with my radio i have an aftermarket deck, but my windows do get quirky off and on my pass side window will only go down if you firmly press down on the window and if you pull up on the window for up so i would assume it is the motor. and just recently my driver window has had some problems but not the same sometimes it will make a knock sound from the door panel near the top edge and i kinda think it is the metal guide block under the panel but haven't taken the panel off to find the problem.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Activity Stream
Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  

Tags
accessory, camaro, chevy, dont, issue, jump, module, power, problem, radio, retained, window, windows, work, works