No fuel pressure at the rail after new fuel pressure regulator install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Could I test the injectors with a test light? I don't have a noid and can't get to one easily at this point.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Tech Droid

Regular test lamp may draw more current than the computer can handle and possible damage the computer.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok I'll definitely take that advice.
Gettin there.. I took the fpr back and got another, installed the new and disconnected both + and - on the battery, held both cables together for 2 minutes, reconnected and car started right up. It smoked white for several seconds and did not want to idle, but man was I so glad to hear it start. It stalled out and would not restart after many tries. I pulled the #6 plug which is the cylinder that was LOADED with fuel when the fpr went, suspecting maybe that injector is stuck open..? Well that plug was wet. Not soaked but wet. Put the plug back in, and the car started only after I put it in WOT. So I could keep it running with some throttle but it would not idle and I let it stall. Ok now this.. Oil, which was obviously mixed with gas big time was coming out of the oil dipstick spout! I cleaned it up and checked the oil.. the crank case is full of gas. I mean like 3 inches or more up the dip stick from the full mark. I think I may have to change the oil (haha) but does it sound like an injector was damaged when the fuel pressure regulator went? And is now open? Thanks for all the help gents.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh and still could not find where the o-ring had it's home either on the fpr, or the port on the fuel rail where it installed. I'm certain I looked when I took out the blown fpr and nothing on either side. But.. in case that may be the issue still. So the new fpr (which is the old style) does not have an o-ring with the install.

Last edited by royco95; 07-26-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep you got either injector being told to fire all the time or its stuck open/blown out. yes get that oil/gas out. i have done that but not so bad as you have and i was concerned the engine would go boom.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

can get the injectors cleaned and flow tested at a injector shop. cost like 15 bucks each. my problem was to high pressure and fouled 02 sensors. i did have two injectors that were not flowing well.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah it makes me uneasy too, especially when the stuff was smoking on the exhaust manifold. I thought of changing the oil and getting it to start and tapping on the injector. But I'm thinking of just sending it to the pros at this point.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Droid

I doubt all the gas in the crankcase was caused by a bad FPR. If the engine is not running the fuel pump stops and the injectors are supposed to stop flowing, even if receiving unregulated pump pressure. Most likely one or more injectors are not closing fully or stuck open. If you are ambitious, you can pull out the fuel rail with the fuel lines connected, and injectors attached and connected to the control wires. Make sure the engine is cold, don't want to start a fire, turn the key ON, (don't try starting) the pump will pressurize the rail. Look at the injectors, none of them should be leaking fuel. If any are leaking, verify there is no ground on the control wire going to the injector (use a DVM to avid causing more damage). If you see a ground then the wire is shorted or the PCM has seen better days.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Update: Car is running normally once again. Turns out my install of the FPR was fine (which was the second one exchanged) and there may have been a problem with the first regulator installed. However, I was SHOCKED when the owner of the small shop I deal with told me 2 gallons of oil and gas came out of the crankcase!! Naturally it didn't want to run right even after the second FPR was installed. I'm thinking I'm very fortunate the thing didn't blow up when I did get it to start, not aware of the oil and gas mix in the crankcase and I was throttling the motor for a couple of minutes. Perhaps a caution for us DIY'rs, while troubleshooting if your loosing fuel pressure at the rail and don't know where it's going, check the crankcase. And just check it anyway. Like you guys mentioned I think an injector or two was open when the FPR went, the motor stalled and locked with cylinder #6 full of fuel, and after several tries to restart (after first FPR install) the computer may not have closed the injector-s. After I disconnected the battery and held the + and - cables together for a couple of minutes per Craby, the car began to act like it wanted to start again. So the PCM may not have been shutting off the injectors. Anyway for sure after the first FPR install the fuel pressure would not hold. It may have been recirculating back to the tank at that time but somehow gas was finding its merry way to the crankcase.
The car idles nice and smooth and seems okay so I'm guessing my injectors are fine and obviously not blown. Still no O-ring with the install of the old style regulator. Unless the guys at the shop did it for me.. (they didn't). Hope the summary here helps others out there, and thanks to you guys for your experience and help. Rock on