Tips hints or help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Default Tips hints or help

So im planning on building a bbc camaro of the 78-81 era is there any big hints or tips to the build in regards that even tho alot of people dislike big wheels i would like to do a staggered fit of 24s in the rear and 22s up front... Chasis help transmission help and brake help would be most usueful ive already been digging on the motor stuff

Old 10-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This is not a common combination. I think the few people who have done it right are not going to share how they did it. Besides I don't thing it would be a thread it would be more like book. I am sure there is 100's if not 1000s of hours of custom fabrication to do this right. There are a lot of examples of cars that look like they should have clowns in them. Who the hell would take a sports car and put so high in the air? I was on google. There are Camaro's you could almost pull the trans without jacking the car up.

I found one that was done right. I would bet that is $120,000 car. As a general rule the people that post, How do I do this? do not have the skills, tools or budget to build a completely custom car like in the below video. I would be a little surprised to find very many off the shelf parts on the front suspension. Inner wheel wells and frame would all need to be custom built. Looks like they even custom made quarters and fenders.

How to ruin a car: (22's) I think this thing sits a little higher then my Tahoe.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-12-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Actually that turquoise 79 camaro is on 24s all around... And the build isnt that expensive when my main money spending will be the performance paint and interior and all that is mostly going to be original im not looking to make a show car im looking to make my dream car... And ive been estimating this build since i was ten years old and its never even broke 50k why becauae i have the motivation and will power gregardless of skill tools and budget which i have by the way its a 10 year goal span not a soon as possible thing im asking for help on a forum because there's people in this world that can give valuable hints and tips to a build regardless of what im doing to it for my own liking... It should be about helping a young enthusiasts who likes to use every possible reference in his build because he wants to do most of it himself so he can tell people like you i didnt spend extensive money on my car and i didn't incorrectly do it i built it its mine thats how i pictured it thats how i built it. Im just trying to build the car ive dreamed of since i was 10 if you could underatand that sir/ma'am

Old 10-13-2016, 01:14 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have helps dozens of young guys do projects. For ever 20 projects that get started maybe one gets finished. The most important thing when you start a project is to be realistic. Also what is your goal? Do you want to learn all that is needed or do you just want the dream car? Buying a near done project is almost always the cheapest/easiest way to get a custom car. Project sold due to a divorce or a life change tend to sell for less then the parts cost and can have 100's of free labor hours already done.

You should work your way up to a project like this. Just getting a rust free car that runs well and is worth customizing will either cost 10-15k or a years or two worth of work. I would start with a set of 18" rims and work my way up. Each size is going to cause new problems.

Learn the basics of steering geometry. When I look at the blue car I see a joke. The SAI is going to be way off if there are any stock parts on it. This means the car will corner like a lifted 4wd truck. It also means your power steering system is no longer strong enough and the steering box itself will most likely rip out of it mounts.

Learn the basics of drive line angles. Your angle of your drive shaft is sitting at is important. If its wrong the car will shake and rip U-joints out.

Learn the basics of braking. Both tire size and riding height of the car will have a huge effect on braking. Brake size and configuration will need to be custom built just to maintain the crappy 2nd gens braking ability.

Without more information there is really no way to help. We know nothing about you. This really is a waste of time I am talking SAI I don't know if you even know what a ball joint is, I am talking drive line angle and I have no clue if you know what a drive shaft is. You need to understand how the stock car works before you can modify it. If not you are just doing what people say to do with no idea of the consequences. It is easy to build a car that looks like art if it does not need to drive on the road safely or legally.

Research, research and more research, then comeback with specific question. My guess would be you are in the wrong forum if you want to build a "Donk" car. You should find a Donk website. Just stop in when you have a specific Camaro question.

When you are young you really want to think twice about a long term project. Life changes very fast when you are at a young age. Life changes kill as many projects as lose of interest or more. Most 18 year old guys have no idea where they will be at 23, they may not know they don't know but life has a way of throwing curve *****.

I do wish you good luck and don't take the comment I made about not being able to do personally. I would bet the above TA had 3 or 4 car building expert involved with manufacturers support an I kinda doubt the blue car could turn a real corner.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-13-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have helps dozens of young guys do projects. For ever 20 projects that get started maybe one gets finished. The most important thing when you start a project is to be realistic. Also what is your goal? Do you want to learn all that is needed or do you just want the dream car? Buying a near done project is almost always the cheapest/easiest way to get a custom car. Project sold due to a divorce or a life change tend to sell for less then the parts cost and can have 100's of free labor hours already done.

You should work your way up to a project like this. Just getting a rust free car that runs well and is worth customizing will either cost 10-15k or a years or two worth of work. I would start with a set of 18" rims and work my way up. Each size is going to cause new problems.

Learn the basics of steering geometry. When I look at the blue car I see a joke. The SAI is going to be way off if there are any stock parts on it. This means the car will corner like a lifted 4wd truck. It also means your power steering system is no longer strong enough and the steering box itself will most likely rip out of it mounts.

Learn the basics of drive line angles. Your angle of your drive shaft is sitting at is important. If its wrong the car will shake and rip U-joints out.

Learn the basics of braking. Both tire size and riding height of the car will have a huge effect on braking. Brake size and configuration will need to be custom built just to maintain the crappy 2nd gens braking ability.

Without more information there is really no way to help. We know nothing about you. This really is a waste of time I am talking SAI I don't know if you even know what a ball joint is, I am talking drive line angle and I have no clue if you know what a drive shaft is. You need to understand how the stock car works before you can modify it. If not you are just doing what people say to do with no idea of the consequences. It is easy to build a car that looks like art if it does not need to drive on the road safely or legally.

Research, research and more research, then comeback with specific question. My guess would be you are in the wrong forum if you want to build a "Donk" car. You should find a Donk website. Just stop in when you have a specific Camaro question.

When you are young you really want to think twice about a long term project. Life changes very fast when you are at a young age. Life changes kill as many projects as lose of interest or more. Most 18 year old guys have no idea where they will be at 23, they may not know they don't know but life has a way of throwing curve *****.

I do wish you good luck and don't take the comment I made about not being able to do personally. I would bet the above TA had 3 or 4 car building expert involved with manufacturers support an I kinda doubt the blue car could turn a real corner.

I completely undeestand what you are saying with thw build and the difficulty of it ive been around these typw of cars most of my life i know alot of what im trying to do is possible im a very big car enthusiast apecially about this car i have the complete rebuildand teardown of the vehicle i work at a auto parts store im training for ase certifications... Ive been researching alot about the build and i really appreciate all the help you are providing... Thats why i am on this forum im not trying to build a donk imtryi g to build my dream car the 24s will be alot later in the build mymain concern is my performance work i know problems willcome with them but i want to do a good performance to the vehicle regardless of the wheels i do put on it... I want to make sure the motor tranny suspension brakes etc are all ready for anything that comes in the end for them...

Old 10-14-2016, 12:03 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check out Eastwoods youtube channel for a show called hands on cars. It is done by Kevin. He started with a fairly solid late 2nd gen and built a semi budget friendly car. Pick the starter car is a very important step. I would not worry about the motor at all because all the engine from that era are crap. Focus on the amont of metal work it will need. Of course the are tons of other online builds to check out be this one seemed on point.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-14-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Putting in a big block Chevy in a 1978-81 Camaro is not a big deal.Remember that the 1970-3 Camaro`s came with big blocks from the factory.So you can do it with factory parts. And if you haven`t yet bought a car of that era I would start with a Z-28 because they may not had the horsepower of the earlier cars,because of emissions.But they do handle better than the earlier cars.And have a lot of good parts in them. And are a lot different than a regular "Bow Tie " car that way,Such as The suspension ,brakes,steering box,etc, That is part of the reason I bought mine, And you can make a big block handle as well .Like the IMSA race cars of that period were big block cars, Just decide what you want to do with your car.Then do your research,There are a lot of both factory and after market parts to choose from.We all do it a little differentlyGood luck on your build.

Attached Thumbnails Tips hints or help-5529277575_d2325a91e8_b.jpg   Tips hints or help-130044932860518017.jpg   Tips hints or help-130044932863175355.jpg  
Old 10-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Any 2nd gen with the F41 suspension option will have the same features as a Z28. Just look underneath for multileaf rear springs and front/rear swaybars. If it has both, it's likely it came as the F41 package.
I'm not a fan of gigantic wheels, but I understand you have a particular vision, and I'd say go ahead. It is your vision, and your car, so why not build what you want? It will require more skills than the average parts swapping needed to drop in a bigger engine, lower the car, and add wide tires/wheels. But if you're ready to spend the money and time it can be done. Most older guys learned how to do various modifications, and there was always a first time.
The build you want will require a fair amount of suspension work to make the car sit properly, and not be a donk. It will also require some major sheet metal fabrication to almost every part of the car! In order to get the large diameter tires under the car both front and rear inner wheelwell tubs will need to be opened up dramatically. Not a big deal up front, but in the rear this will mean major changes inside the car also, and probably reworks to the interior too, since the tubs are under the seat and require reworking the seat frames, etc. May also require cutting the driveline tunnel to deepen it and allow the car enough drop to get the stance lower with those huge wheels.
Once the car sits low enough you'll then need to address some odd driveline angles, as the pinion may need to be angled down more to match trans and pinion angles. Might be done with a angle shim at the spring perches, or it may require the spring perches to be cut off and rewelded to get the right angle. It may also be a time to consider a 4 link suspension that will allow more flexibility to get the drop you need.
Up front the suspension will get even trickier! Probably will need to either make up all new control arms, etc., or simply put an offset in the front subframe to allow everything to sit lower, but retain geometry. But that will also require the engine mounts to be located lower, so it isn't sticking through the hood, or misaligned with the driveline and rear axle.
I've done some of this on much older cars, and in most cases channeling the entire chassis up into the body accomplishes the lowered stance the easiest and quickest way. But they have full frames, which makes it a lot easier. You may consider removing the subframe, and rear "unibody" type frame, and simply finding a good donor frame to channel your body over. In the end that might be easiest, and also cheapest. Look into things like an older S10 frame, which can be updated for suspension mods, and frame rails cut to match wheelbase lengths. Using a complete frame will also maintain steering and handling geometry, while getting the large wheels under it.
Another option is using the subframe, but building it out to end up with a full frame in the Camaro. Then the chassis can be set up fully with tires/wheels, and drivetrain, and the body channeled over it afterwards to reach your goal. Maybe even mate the Camaro subframe to something like an S10 rear frame half to make a full frame.

Any way you choose, this wont be a build for the faint of heart. Yes, you might easily do it for less than $50k, IF you can do most of the work, and have the shop and tools to do so. But as soon as you start getting outside help for much, expect your costs to double that estimate quickly.