Oh great... Help/tips needed plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oh great... Help/tips needed plz

Seems my Camaro is starting to fall apart on me or something.

The engine seems to be most to all loseing power from time to time (and somethings even dieing while at a dead stop)
Peeling paint and rust forming
Clutch seems to be going bad. (where should the clutch engage on the pedal also how hard should it be to push the pedal down?)
Weird noises comeing from the 5speed trans (whineing sounds mostly when the clutch is out)
Starter misses the flywheel from time to time
And thats its really and and ALL help would be nice and Thank you in advance

89 RS, 5.0 V8 TBI, 5 Speed Manual Trans, unknown rear end(too rusted to tell Or I'm just blind)

Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Oh great... Help/tips needed plz

Throwout bearing is bad, probably the rest of the clutch assembly as well.

Paint... well your just SOL there.. lol sry

Check your distributor, wires, plugs. basically do a tuneup Could be a vaccume leak somewhere too.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The place I got the car from less then 8 months ago "said" they put a new clutch in I think they just messed with it to fool me into thinking its new (What does milling a flywheel have to do with a new clutch?)

Paint wise thats what I thought lol I'll just take the rust off and put some zinc based paint on for now I guess

And Not too long ago I changed all the wires and plugs tho I'm a bit scared to mess with the distributor and wouldnt a vaccume leak make the car run like crud all the time? OH! and the only way I found to get the car to stop acting up for a bit it to rev in nearly to the red [:@]

Also, thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Um any other tips please? like maybe parts or something over stock? I'm not sure what to do / test
And how hard should the ERG valve be to push with your fingers? Right now I have to use alot of force (with the engine off)

Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

You need to be more descriptive and you need to spend more time under your hood.

When you come to a stop light, does the engine start to sputter and stop? This could be a few things, fuel or ignition, but it sounds like a Vac leak. Check all your hoses, a small crack to your PCV valve or breather or Vac advance can wreak havock at idle. Once you get going, the engine is at higher RPM, thus more Vac, and the problem seems to go away. (You state you have to rev it to keep it going...)

Also, check to see if your distributor is tight. If its a bit loose, your timing could be working its way off and slowly getting worse. (Happens to me all the time)

About the tranny, I cant help you there. Transmissions are the realm of magicians.....I dont pretend to understand them..

Good luck. Go turn some wrenches.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm I'll check that out (and yes I rev it to keep it going but even then the engine may bog down and die while near flooring it and at other times it gets waves of RPMS "high low high low" before it actualy gets a solid rev then the problem stops for a few min to all day)

I willk check that as well Thank you

And I know whats wrong now but that you anyways

NEW PROBLEM! : Tires are dry rotting on the side >.<

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Clutch: The pressure plate is just a spring load plate that pushs you clutch into you flywheel. So when you replace the "Clutch" you normally replace the clutch plate and the pressure plate and the throw out bearing. You resurface the fly wheel because it is what the clutch is pushed against by the pressure plate.

The zinc paint is fine but you should top coat it. Zinc does very well agains rust but it chips and cracks. Was the issue the EGR valve? They should be hard to push. Not being hard to push can be a issue.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for such a late reply but I looked over the entire cars vacum system and I cant find anything wrong no cracks or loss ends anything... something tells me this can be very bad or stupidly simple ah well Thank you

Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You may want to check you distributer cap and rotor. Fuel filter? PCV valve? If the EGR valve is not seating it could cause the issue you are having.

The engine issue you describedcan be tuff to find. At the dealerships we would say you have a drivablity problem. The mechanics that work on drivabily are normally the highest paid (along side the tranny guys) because it can be difficult to figure out what is wrong. We can posts stuff all day long and it could turn out to bewater in the gasor aworn bushing in the distributer how about a cracked brake vacuum booster oh personal favcracked intake.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

ok lets see... I ran the car nearly out of gas and changed the fuel filter and air filter and seeing how the problem only happens once in a while I doubt something major is that damaged... I may aswell replace the distributer and rotor... Hmm can bad fuel injectors cause this problem aswell?