Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

POSSIBLE TO SPRAY PAINT MY STOCK RIMS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default POSSIBLE TO SPRAY PAINT MY STOCK RIMS?

IS THERE A WAY I CAN DO THAT WITHOUT IT COMING OFF? I HEAR THERE IS A CLEAR COAT IN A CAN THAT WILL HELP. (BTW I WANT TO BLACK THEM OUT)

Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: POSSIBLE TO SPRAY PAINT MY STOCK RIMS?

you can do it. they make wheel paint... check summitracing.com

hey no caps please....

Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey man just a thought. You might want to take a few pics of your car and a black marker and try different things to see what they would look like all black. You might want to leave the outside ring and the inside of those v shapes silver. get creative you may be happier than something else beside solid black. I would put clear over them.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

as with any paint work, as long as you do the proper prep work, anything is possible. if you cut corners at the beginning it will hurt you in the end

Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I did it to my 98C1500 with krylon. I got them amazingly clean, did a light sand to rough the surface for good paint adhesion, and then sprayed. It took three and a half years before they got the slightest scratch from road debris.
Oh, and about 50k on the odo.
Wheel paint is definitely an advisable route, but I didn't have any on hand, and well, I decided to use the krylon. I had blacked my bowtie about six months prior with it and had no issues, so I said "what the hell?" and proceeded. I got good results. Really, the thing to stress is prep work. Good prep is worth its weight in gold in anything involving modifying an automobile. Hope that helps.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Meh im not much for black rims on black cars,id go with either a chrome wheel or just leave the stock ones alone.But we all have our own likes and dislikes,aslong as you like it take your time and you should get a nice result.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Ya it's possible, ive looked into doing the same with my black '98. You can either choose to paint them yourself like which was said earlier, but be sure to clean and sand tire thoroughly, apply a clear coat and apply paint in numerous light coats. Another option that might be better would be to have a professional powdercoat your wheels which is slightly more expensive that doing it yourself, but is a sure way to keep your wheels from scuffing, that is if u dont have the $ to buy new rims!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would agree with others that wheel paint is the way to go as it is more durable than you normal stuff. HOWEVER... you can paint anything and it'll look nice at first. The question is how will it hold up. Wheels get alot of abuse... and regularpainted ones get chipped easily.

If you really want to paint it still then do it the real right way.... get an air compressor for like $70 or less from where ever. Get a cheap little air brush from Ebay, a small paint gun, and real automotive primer, reducer, paint, and clear. Follow instructions, prep everything the right way. Apply several coats of everything. The wheels will actually look like they came that way and they will be durable and washable. Plus you can get ANY color you want or can imagine.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eK5OnHfqA