Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

My tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
May 2008 ROTM
Default My tail lights

So, as some of you already know, i have after market tail lights. I bought my new ones because the old (also after market) left one was ruined, it was filled with water, now my new left tail light is gathering moisture as well. I cant find what the problem is, is there some way i can clean out the moisture and seal the light somehow? Anyone else had a problem like this ever?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: My tail lights

the only quick thing ive really heard is to bake them in the oven on low temp to dry them out. the casing should be sealed so the problem is probably around the bulb itself. check to see if any of the bulb.... holder thingeys... are damaged

Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
May 2008 ROTM

bake them in the oven? ive never heard of that...

if the "holder thingeys" are busted, do i have to replace them or is there a fix?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Ninja Administrator

it will dry them out. or you can just sit them somewhere dry off of the car for awhile and wait for them to dry.

the holders make a seal to keep water out, so if the seal is bad you may be able to replace it using just about anything, an O ring may even work (im kinda guessing on this part, i havent taken apart a camaro tail light, but usually there is a clip that contains the light and it fits into the tail light with a half turn or so). if its too bad you may have to replace the clip.

the reason im blaming the bulb holders is because it happened 2x for u on the same side, somethings up and i doubt its the tail light itself

Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 PM
May 2008 ROTM

yeah, thats what im thinking. with the ammount of water that was in the first one, i thought it was the light, maybe installed wrong.... but the holder makes sense. thanks spector

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Ya, its the bulb, I had a foglight explode a while back, that was interesting. If you have alot of lights laying around, for somereason there were alot in my garage, take the little rubber ring off of maybe one or two and put it on the one you'll be installing. Dont put it all the down on it though, let it rest where the plastic part holding the bulb itself will be in contact with the housing.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

new holder thingey o-rings?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear member

this might sound stupid but i have seen people drill a small hole in the light that way water can drain out and it helps moisture from building up

Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM
May 2008 ROTM

73SS, thats not stupid, it actually helps (i havent done it to these lights, but i did do it to my previous lights)

I forgot to mention this.... but, when i put in the new tail lights, i also replaced the bulbs, and the reverse light still doesnt work (on the left side, the one that was damaged previously)

and ideas? Do i have to replace the.... socket?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear member

check the socket to see if it's rusty or anything on the inside from the moisture.. it happened to mine.
if it is rusty you can try and clean it up with some sandpaper, or go buy a new plug.. i ended up having to buy a new plug anyway. just be sure to get the right one..

Quick Reply: My tail lights