VS Cars going head to head!

what cars will mine beat in a drag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

mine weights around 3000-3100...oh thats pretty good for the 2010 camaro with just stock parts..what about a stock 2010 mustang GT? or 2010 GT500?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFsFludVAk

I rest my case. Any car can be made fast with the right funds. With out good gearing and traction you are not getting the most out of your set up. As said above this is a loaded question.
well yeah alot of cars can run 10's and faster with turbo charging, nitrous and being lightweight..but i'd never buy a metro

but im just talking about most cars that aren't running nitrous and such because i might race mostly on the street

Last edited by jason7504; 07-17-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

A lot of street cars run nitrous, blowers, and turbo's. If you want to know what you can beat go to the track and run the car. You never know what might be next too you. That mean sounding mustang next to you may have nothing more then a big cam and exhaust why the stock looking 240 on the other side of you could have a RB26 under the hood. Most cars that race are not stock and you never know what you will find both on the street and at the strip. Also there are not that many 10 second street cars out there.

Last edited by cbr600rx7; 07-18-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Agreed haha.

The 2010 mustang gt is slow too, mid to high 13's. The GT500 is fast I hear though.. like low to mid 12's min haha

Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jason7504
ok this might seen generalized but i was just wondering if you could list some cars that you think i would beat in a 1/4 mile drag..

Not mine LOL

Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cali Z28
Not mine LOL
haha i wish i could beat yours..your car is sweet!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear member

Just a question: have you taken you car to the track and actually seen what it will do? That gives you both a real number to compare ot other cars, and verification that the 450 HP is real -- you should be doing in the 12s, but I've seen "450 HP" Camaros that did in the mid or high 13s because they weren't dialed in right or the Hp doesn't work well on the street.
The major threat of embarrassment a car like yours faces in street challenges is from 4-wheel drive beasts like lightly modded Sti's, etc. These cars aren't inhrently faster than yours in the 1/4 (at least it if really has 450 HP), but it is just about impossible for their owners to screw up a launch badly, whereas your car requires real attention -- often difficult to do in a quick street challenge at a stoplight.
And remember, as CBR600 said, enough money can do just about anything, and there is serious stuff running around the streets that you have to beware of, just not too much of it: you can tell more from studying the driver than the appearance of the car, by the way.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
Just a question: have you taken you car to the track and actually seen what it will do? That gives you both a real number to compare ot other cars, and verification that the 450 HP is real -- you should be doing in the 12s, but I've seen "450 HP" Camaros that did in the mid or high 13s because they weren't dialed in right or the Hp doesn't work well on the street.
The major threat of embarrassment a car like yours faces in street challenges is from 4-wheel drive beasts like lightly modded Sti's, etc. These cars aren't inhrently faster than yours in the 1/4 (at least it if really has 450 HP), but it is just about impossible for their owners to screw up a launch badly, whereas your car requires real attention -- often difficult to do in a quick street challenge at a stoplight.
And remember, as CBR600 said, enough money can do just about anything, and there is serious stuff running around the streets that you have to beware of, just not too much of it: you can tell more from studying the driver than the appearance of the car, by the way.
no i haven't taken it to the track yet, i wanna do some suspension upgrades first..what do you mean by if the 450hp is real or doesn't work well on the street?

man i wanna be in the 11's

Old 08-12-2009, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear member

First, what I mean about the 450 HP not being real is that I have seen a lot of modifed engines that should have a certain HP that don't -- the owner buys the right kit and such but something isn't dialed in or compatible - the fuel injectors are too small or their is now not quite enough fuel pressure, etc., etc.,

As to not working on the street, I've even seen engines that tested 450 HP on a bench dyno that do only about 380 in the car, for a variety of reasons. Thus, I've become a big believer that nothing matters as much as actually dynoing the car on a chassis dyno (it ought to give about 385 at the rear wheels through a manual trans, about 370-375 through an auto) and going to the track.

In fact I'm a believer in going to the track as early as possible, maybe taking it easy if the suspension and such is not dialed in yet, but getting a feel for the power, etc., early on: identify the priorities you have -- things to work on, at the track -- is it suspension that comes first or does your engine bog of the rear end not cooperate, etc. Your car will do in the 12s if it has 450 HP, good suspension and tires, and you practice. but 11s will take a bit more, I'd expect. Our '98, lightened considerably so it probably weighed about what yours does, took about 415 RWHP and 490 RWT (about 470/550 flywheel) to break into the 11s although, if we had had the locker rear axle then we might have done it with a bit less.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
First, what I mean about the 450 HP not being real is that I have seen a lot of modifed engines that should have a certain HP that don't -- the owner buys the right kit and such but something isn't dialed in or compatible - the fuel injectors are too small or their is now not quite enough fuel pressure, etc., etc.,

As to not working on the street, I've even seen engines that tested 450 HP on a bench dyno that do only about 380 in the car, for a variety of reasons. Thus, I've become a big believer that nothing matters as much as actually dynoing the car on a chassis dyno (it ought to give about 385 at the rear wheels through a manual trans, about 370-375 through an auto) and going to the track.

In fact I'm a believer in going to the track as early as possible, maybe taking it easy if the suspension and such is not dialed in yet, but getting a feel for the power, etc., early on: identify the priorities you have -- things to work on, at the track -- is it suspension that comes first or does your engine bog of the rear end not cooperate, etc. Your car will do in the 12s if it has 450 HP, good suspension and tires, and you practice. but 11s will take a bit more, I'd expect. Our '98, lightened considerably so it probably weighed about what yours does, took about 415 RWHP and 490 RWT (about 470/550 flywheel) to break into the 11s although, if we had had the locker rear axle then we might have done it with a bit less.
i can't wait to go to the track when i get my suspension upgraded

oh sounds like a nice ride...what gears do you have in it?

Quick Reply: what cars will mine beat in a drag?