VS Cars going head to head!

my stock 94 lt1 camaro vs unknown year edge mustang= ugly for me

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the plugs and 02 sensors to see if there fouled. be best to pick up a aldl cable and do some data logging.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Droid

The trouble code, DTC 55, indicates that the PCM is not seeing the A/F ratio going rich under hard acceleration. During hard acceleration the PCM orders a richer mixture which should be reflected by the O2 sensors, but in your case it is not happening. Check the fuel pump and the pressure regulator with a fuel injection pressure gage and see if it is within limits. A starving engine will hick-up and be low on power.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
The trouble code, DTC 55, indicates that the PCM is not seeing the A/F ratio going rich under hard acceleration. During hard acceleration the PCM orders a richer mixture which should be reflected by the O2 sensors, but in your case it is not happening. Check the fuel pump and the pressure regulator with a fuel injection pressure gage and see if it is within limits. A starving engine will hick-up and be low on power.
sounds about right. at idle what psi if you know off hand?

Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

i just checked it 17 psi key on, 28 psi running at a idle. sounds pretty low

Old 05-21-2011, 04:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be goin to 42 and down to 37 or so at idle

Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
should be goin to 42 and down to 37 or so at idle
so why do you think its so low craby? pump or regulator? seems like the only 2 things. i would think the pump is the problem, well i am very low on gas right now too, but i think this makes sense for the problems im having, my motor is starving for fuel. my fuel filter is new too.
can i adapt any other gm fuel pumps to work with my car? i see no interchange but i have a feeling i could use something else. if i hadnt just lost my job i would just get a aeromotive pump, alot of people have had bad luck with the walbros lately.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Fancy Sparkle

sounds like the fuel pump. mine did almost the exact same thing (though i was closer to 5psi at idle somehow)

Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can run a jumper wire to the test wire http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg and see what the pressure does a little better. a failing pressure regulator will usually pressure up for a short time and fall. a failing fuel pump will usually not pressure up at all or very slowly. thats not to say either will do it the same if you know what i mean. i would say chances are its a fuel pump. i had regulator problems with mine and confirmed it by pinching the return (small) line while pressuring up. it held pressure fine with the return line pinched off. i used some wide flat vice grips and covered the fuel line with cardboard bent over it. kept the metal edges from contacting the plastic. i also used a part of the fuel line that was protected from uv rays, sliding the fuel line cover up to uncover the lines up where they go into the fenderwell. the lines were noticeably softer there. i did not pinch the line very hard. anyways i could hear the fuel going through the line or at least thats what i thought it was. it was fuel getting by at the relief valve.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
you can run a jumper wire to the test wire http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg and see what the pressure does a little better. a failing pressure regulator will usually pressure up for a short time and fall. a failing fuel pump will usually not pressure up at all or very slowly. thats not to say either will do it the same if you know what i mean. i would say chances are its a fuel pump. i had regulator problems with mine and confirmed it by pinching the return (small) line while pressuring up. it held pressure fine with the return line pinched off. i used some wide flat vice grips and covered the fuel line with cardboard bent over it. kept the metal edges from contacting the plastic. i also used a part of the fuel line that was protected from uv rays, sliding the fuel line cover up to uncover the lines up where they go into the fenderwell. the lines were noticeably softer there. i did not pinch the line very hard. anyways i could hear the fuel going through the line or at least thats what i thought it was. it was fuel getting by at the relief valve.
so it might be higher with the pump on solid? i know something is bad. thats why that mustang got me so bad. considering everything wrong at that time its actually amazing my car even ran...failing opti, big exhaust leak and a weak fuel pump i bet. my friend says replace the regulator first, what do you think. im done testing it i know one of them is bad and it most likely the pump, i dont think a bad regulator could hold off that much pressure if the pump is working right.
i just dropped 7 tanks at the junkyard on everything from caddys to berettas to 4.3 vortec trucks, nothing close. ill just sitt on it i start a new job tryout at a shop weds so if it pans out ill just buy a 255 of some sort. any recommendations? i dont want a walbro, my friends have been having them fail
i was almost thinking dual pumps, junkyard gm pumps, i know it sound dumb but im broke and if i can make something work thats not intended, well now thats real hot rodding, and that kinda my m.o. improvising and being creative. so what common car has a pump that would work okay?

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 05-23-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

i dropped about 7 tanks today at the junkyard. i found some caddy ones i was planning on running a twin set up with till i found out i can buy a new one for the same price.anyways now i just gotta cut my trap door and order my 255 pump of choice, havent decided on which one. are the walbro 255lph all the same , as in universal fit?

Quick Reply: my stock 94 lt1 camaro vs unknown year edge mustang= ugly for me