VS Cars going head to head!

95 Z28 vs. 05 charger R/T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: 95 Z28 vs. 05 charger R/T?

they do that because of the power level they are making and the fact that at those levels, shifting hurts you much more than on the street. so they run a low gear ratio so their tranny doesnt need 6 gears to get them to the end.their goal is to run out of gear a split second after the traps. how long does it take you to get to 70? with 2.23 gears you should hit that in 1st still.

regardless, you with 2.23 gears, you put another vette with the same power output as you except for 4.10's, from a 70 roll he will blow your doors off. your actual velocity has nothing to do with your pull when concerning gears. the transmission gear you are in does

Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: carguy_z28

same is true for my fathers 67 SS, he has a 2 speed powerglide, and 4.10's, his top speed used to be 160 MPH when he got the car with the same tranny and 3.73, now most he can do is 120 MPH, but he gets there about 8 seconds quicker than he did before...its a constant hard pull till he is out of RPM's where as at 120 MPH before he had about 1500 RPM left...
before we continue we need to be very clear here. im not sure i am hearing what ur saying.... or something.

so ur saying that his old 0-160 time (basically full run) is 8 seconds longer than his current 0-120? or is it 120 vs 120? also, ur claiming with a lower gear ratio that he runs out of gear at a lower speed than he did before with a taller gear? all things being equal thats a physical impossibility. running out of gear means redline at top gear (5th for a 5speed, 6th for a 6m). there is another factor here that isnt being considered. with 4.10s your transmission output rotates 4.1 times for every revolution of the wheel. this means that the motor has to spin 4.1 times faster than a theoretical 1:1 rearend to acheive the same speed in the same transmission gear. now that weve talked an extreme, that means that the engine of a 4.10 car must spin faster to achieve the same speed as a 3.73 geared car with the same transmission. the same statement made from another point of view is that when running out a 4.10 geared car will be closer to its redline for all speeds as compared to a 3.73 car, both cars using the same tranny gear. this means the 4.10 car will run out of gear first.

now, redline for most cars is set where the engine stops producing torque, not necessarily at its rotational fail point (your motor for example can spin over 7k if u wanted to, it just doesnt make power up there with stock cam, this is why big diesels dont have a redline, their powerband is such that you can just go flat out and it will just stop accelerating around 3krpm (generalization)) this is why most motors make peak up at the high end of their rpm, and the shift is set just after this. this means the closer to redline you are the more "pull" you have in that gear.

now, a 4.10 car will have to shift sooner, but the gears are set such that the 4th gear pull at 4krpm is better than th 3rd gear pull at 7krpm for the reason stated above. the ONLY way a steeper gear will slow you down at any speed is if you are forced into your overdrive gear

Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM

I beat that R/T, he was floored so was i and i pulled, my passenger window was down and i heard his car downshift so i did the same an pulled i was there and your trying to say i lost so sorry to burst your bubble but i won. Your statistic dont mean **** when it comes down to it. you eather got the ***** to floor it or go home cryin and that dodge got owned anotherone for the Z28 HAHA.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't be astonished that the Camaro beat the charger.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear member

I was saying that he gets to 120 faster now, than he did before. He cant hit 160 anymore. He runs out of motor at the 120 - 125 MPH mark. I had the gears changed before I had the supercharger put in... And that was when I could run faster from 70 to 140 than with the 3.23's... but with the 3.23's I could run faster from 0 - 70 than I could with the 2.23's. I understand what your saying, but its just not the case here. Any car ive owned and changed the ratio of the gears, I have seen differences in both... High and low power. To further whay you were saying, Now, with a six speed car, take the Z06 corvette, the 6th gear is usless, They make there top speed runs in 5th gear, not sixth... 6th si only there for fuel econimy at highway speeds. When going 200 MPH in 5th, if you were to shift into 6th, you would actually slow down, even the 505 HP didnt have enough to pull with that 2.23 in it, So what your saying would be 100 % acurate with that car, drop the gearing, and in 6th, it WILL pull harder... But, with a 4 speed auto like my vette, Its a different story, you NEED the higher gears to get your top end, cause you run out of shifts and motor too quickly with the lower rear end. My GTP came from factory with 2 ( front ) gearing to choose from, an 3.23, and a 2.90, with the 2.90 (most commonly factory installed in the GTP) The top speed was rated at 138 MPH... but with the 3.23, ( usually in the GT ) it was a mere 126 MPH. But the factory 0-60 times were 6.8 for the 3.23, and 7.1 for the 2.90. ( I still have my pamphlete ) and they both had the exact same tranny gearing. Cant deny the facts, it depends on the tranny big time. If the tranny had another gear, then the tables would probably be turned in favor of what your saying...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Ninja Administrator

well the original premise here was that IF you have the oats to redline top gear, a lower ratio will increase top speed. so i agree with you there. ur saying ur vette has enough to max its auto, so lowering the gear ratio will give u a higher top speed. i agree with this statement.

He cant hit 160 anymore. He runs out of motor at the 120 - 125 MPH mark.
now this was a 4.10 TO 3.73 swap right?

i think were in violent agreement and both of us are misreading the other a little. so your dad isnt running out of gear, hes running out of motor. which means hes probably toping out at 120 somewhere in the middle of the powerband. This is a perfect example of the first thing i said which is a swap to a higher gear actually gives you a higher top end in most cars, which is counterintuitive. the reason being, ur dads motor has enough advantage over wind resistance to achieve higher speeds.

ur dads current setup could probably top 200mph+ on a dyno, but on the street, with wind pushing it back the faster it goes, those 3.73s arent enough to get up high like the 4.10s were, thus theoretical top speed is raised while realized top speed diminishes. the issue i had was you said ur dad ran out of gear sooner going to a lower ratio, where running out of gear is defined as redlining the motor in the top gear (or final gear of choice, many drag racers will choose a slightly lower ratio to ensure that they dont have to shift 100ft before the traps or something like that which will result in lower ET's, due to the time of shifting as well as droping below the powerband)

on the same token, the dragsters we talked about earlier would technically accelerate faster with a higher ratio gear, however this would introduce much more wear on the components and require a 3rd shift. which is why when we say all things equal 4th gear in a vette with 4.10s will pull harder than 4th in a vette with 2.23s, however they will be in those gears at different mph

i dont know auto specs, but the reason u say u can go 70-140 faster is probably because the auto 4th gear is similar to the 6th in a manual. not anywhere close to linear in its ratio as compared to the others.... sowith the lower gears you are able to hold 3rd out longer thus reaching high speeds faster than when you are forced prematurely into 4th.

the theory and reasoning i was using earlier only works with a linear set of gears, if you have one that drops way out of line like an overdrive gear you are dropped way below your powerband and it takes time before ur making power again.

however, this would still work with an overdrive gear if ur motor made the same hp from 2krpm all the way to 7k...... but thats not possible either [8D]

Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Either I mis typed or you mis read... He now has 4.10's, and he HAD 3.73's... With the 3.73 he could do 160,,, now with 4.10 he can do 120-125...

Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Ninja Administrator

lol, thats still better. u said he had a powerglide right? he must just have enough power to max out his tranny then.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Most auto's have enough power to max out 4th gear in the stock gear ratio. I know the 4th Gen Camaro with the 4L60E can hit redline in 4th gear. The 4th gear in the auto is a .70:1(I believe...) just like the 5th in the manuals.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

lol, thats still better. u said he had a powerglide right? he must just have enough power to max out his tranny then.
He has over 475-550 If I had to guess, He has more than enough power for the 2 speed...

Quick Reply: 95 Z28 vs. 05 charger R/T?