VS Cars going head to head!

'93 Z/28 vs '01 Jetta Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I wanna try keeping it as stock looking as possible. The carpet I have in it now is lighter than what I originally took out, so I know I saved some weight there. The a/c evaporator is major piece wanna work on getting out, while retaining heat. I've been debating on whether to remove the bumper supports or not and maybe fabbing up something to replace them that's lighter but still as strong. My sub will be coming out of the back the day of for sure.

The front sway will defiantly have to go back on after racing. Just for the simple fact that right now I drive home from school every other weekend and I take the twistys fast.

Hmm...maybe I'll work on getting both for the car. Trying to save up some money so I can get my car on the right track (no pun intended) to where I want it. I do know I'm going to need the computer tuned. For some reason, I can't get above 110 for some reason, yet I've gone as fast as 122 before. I'm wondering if the SES light (code 36) might effect that.

I was going to ask about the air filter. I always thought it was bad to run an engine without a air filter? I guess maybe that wouldn't hold here because you're not running it for an extended amount of time?

All right. That sounds good. I'm not too worried about a VR4. Every race I've seen it's always been neck and neck with each car winning. But that was stock for stock. My car isn't stock and if he gets one, he'll be spending all his money just to buy it.

Races on Thursday night? I would have figured Friday or Saturday! Haha. But that's cool too.
removing the whole ac system including fan motor, evap and condenser is about 40lbs, so it will certainly help. The front bumper support is not very hard to remove, check into burkhardt chassis, they make a very nice piece that bolts in place of the bumper support made of chromoly, thats also pretty cheap (iirc under 250 bucks), the bumper support itself is ~20lbs also and takes some weight off the front end. The rear one is almost as easy to get to and is another 20lbs, both can be unbolted and bolted back on if you feel uncomfortable driving on the street without them.

Yeah, like I said, the front sway bar is easy to take off and put back on but will help immensely on the launch, even for a bolt-on car.

Either/or will certainly help, you'll notice a HUGE difference with a nice stall in the car, it will wake it up something fierce. If you can do it, I'd consider it. As for the speed limiter, to be honest, I don't think you'll be going 110 in the 1/4 mile with your mods, you may go as fast as 122 on a long stretch, but I trap 125mph on motor and I'm running 11.0, but have gone 11.1-11.2 @ 122mph, thats really fast for a bolt on lt1 car, so I don't think that will be as big of an issue as you think. If you can get it tuned, definitely do it though, it will help.

I would definitely run an air-filter in the car on the street, but when you're at a drag strip, take it out, its just slowing down airflow at that point. There is no dust, rocks, rain etc on a drag strip to be sucked into your motor, the air filter protects your motor from that type of stuff on the street.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Evap is all that is left to get out. I checked out burkhardt chassis and their front end piece is pretty much what I was thinking. Only difference is I was gonna do just a single piece of tubing, but for $330 for the LT, I think I'll see if I can fab something up first before spending the money. I'd only feel uncomfortable if I had others in the vehicle with me, but major accidents aren't very common where I live.

As far as the speed limiter goes, that would make sense. The day I pulled it off was on a 3/4 mile stretch of road. It just puzzles me that I can't get it to do it again. But a tune would be beneficial for more than just that.

All of this will be a work in progress with money being the hardest of it all. How I miss working full time. Defiantly would be nice to do now that I got a 60 cent raise.