VS Cars going head to head!

'93 Z/28 vs '01 Jetta Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
4th Gear Member
Default '93 Z/28 vs '01 Jetta Sedan

Well ladies and gentleman, summer is coming up soon, which means...drag racing season!
In a few months, I will be traveling to Blairsville, PA with some friends to do some drag racing and the most anticipated of the bunch is my '93 Z/28 vs my buds '01 Jetta.

Z/28 Specs:
LT1 V8
A4
Pacesetter headers
ORY
No cats
CAI
A/C delete
Shift kit
stock wheels with 245's rear and 225s front.
EGR delete
Air pump delete
2.73 rear gears
Spare tire removed

Jetta Specs:
2.0L I4
5 spd
aftermarket wheels
Header
Catback

So what do you guys think?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Jettas are weak sauce.... LT1 will eat the little jew burner.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
4th Gear Member

Try explaining that to him. Ha. He thinks he'll at least keep up. He's some how come to the belief that his car is lighter than mine.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

My Balt can stomp his slowpoke, so I don't know where he thinks he can keep up to an LT1. His Jetta only made 115hp stock, headers and wheels are not going to add 100hp

Too bad you are in PA, an LSJ and an LT1 could have stomped him. Video please!

Last edited by SloBalt; 03-29-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

blairsville, huh?

You mean New Alexandria? I didn't know you were that close to me, I can be at PRP in an hour. You'll have to let me know when you're up there, I'll bring up some drag radials if you want to make a few passes on some sticky tires. My old bogarts are sitting in the corner as we speak

Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
4th Gear Member

I was told there was one in Blairsville from a few people. But I google mapped it and it's closer to New Alexandria, so you are right. I'll be coming from either Indiana (about 45 mins) or from my hometown up north (about 2 hrs 45 mins).

Thanks Cheeks, but I'm not sure the 10 bolt would last with sticky's. 115k miles and it still surprises me it stays together when I get on it.

And Balt, I honestly don't know. He is a pro German (mostly VW) person. He feels that they are a superior vehicle to everything else. Any time I say something about beating him in a drag race, he counters with, "yeah, well I'd beat you through turns". He even went so far as to try nicknaming my car "Arrow" because in his opinion the only thing it was good for was going straight. I'll admit, there are cars that will beat me on a road course, as there will always be a better to a best. But his Jetta was made for safety and daily driving, not for racing, whether straight line or road course. I'll make sure to have my video camera strapped into my car somehow for proof (though, I could see him coming up with some type of excuse for losing).

I'm just hoping I can get a rebuild and/or tune in before all of this happens. Even at 115k miles it runs strong and holds oil pressure like no one's business and every oil change the oil looks great. Not perfect, but no pitch black either. I do need to get my SES light figured out. It prevents me from going over 100 mph.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

His Jetta even through turns will have trouble keeping up with the Maro. My Balt however will be a challenge for your Maro in the turns. You are absolutely right about the Jetta being a daily driver/ safe vehicle. But that is it. There is no performance in it at all. Now I would see if he did some suspension work to reduce the excessive body roll in the grocery getter, then he could have a talk about him leaving you on a road course. But the Maro puts up enough power and remember, it is RWD, so if you are starting to understeer, you can always kick the rear out to complete a turn vs his FWD set up having to deal with it. I know he may have a lot of heart, but he is a far cry from the same level in which the 4th gen is. I know a lot of people say that the f-bodies cannot handle well, but I have driven a good amount of them and they do fairly well for their size and weight. At least in my opinion, better than a fairly stock Jetta

Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Personally, I think the 4th gen handles really well. Him and I live just down the road from each other and our road has a good set of twists and turns, some nearly 90* and nice round about ones. Every now and again, I'll test the Camaro and see how far I can push it and I've only ever had the rear start slipping once. Where else, I've ridden with him in the Jetta and attempts to do the same thing, you get jerked to the side like a rollercoaster. And a few times, I honestly thought I was gonna wreck...but knowing it has 8 airbags kinda made me feel safer. I've learned to let him live in his world.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 PM
4th Gear Member

So you guys got any advice on some little things I can do make the car run a little better when she gets to the track? I'm gonna be doing new gear oil in the rear this weekend because I know it's well over do. Trying to find a way to remove the rest of the a/c stuff without removing the engine.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

What type of track, strip or roadcourse??

Quick Reply: '93 Z/28 vs '01 Jetta Sedan