VS Cars going head to head!

2006 GTO Vs 2002 z28

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2006 GTO Vs 2002 z28

I have seen a few posts that pit the ls1 z28 vs the ls2 GTO but this one involves me so I want my own thread

My buddy the other day challenged me to race for $200.00 USD. This race is more then likely going to be from a dig. Both of us have 6spds

My buddies' car 2006 Pontiac GTO "Fatboy"
His mods are Hooker Headers, X-Pipe, Corsa sport cat-back, Granatelli MAF, Svede OTR CAI, he also has a predator tuner.

My 2002 Camaro z28

Pacesetter headers, custom 3'' y-pipe, hi-flow cats, SLP Loud Mouth II, SLP Lid, Hurst Throw Shifter.

Driver Mod: I would like to think I am the better driver. I taught him to drive a manual, but I think he may be a little more fast and loose with his driving then I am lol. I actually test drove his car for him before he bought it and drove it. I hate how the GTO shifts into 2nd gear and I think that will give me an advantage.

What do you guys think should I race him or will I more then likely be out of some cash?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

from a stock stand point he has like 70hp on you but hes also a couple hundred more pounds, the tune is probably whats going to kill you. i know i used a predator II programmer on my moms 08 300C and it made one hell of a difference now i can spin through first into second and chirp third where as before i could barely spin first. ive never had it dynod but it seems a lot faster.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you're gonna get rolled, I'd negotiate lengths.

thats an LS2 gto, he has more motor, more compression and more mods.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have driven the car before, when I drove it i didn't notice lengths of difference in performance, that is with most of those mods and the tuner.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM

I test drove a 2006 Faux-Goat and it didn't have the sack my old LT1 setup had.

Such contest come down to hook and the driver. Minus the LTs both cars are stock and as was noted above, the 70hp advantage of the Faux-goat is offset by its fat-asce...

It's a $200 wager, so a set of Mickeys for the race... leaves ya down $200 with MAJOR braggin' rights, worth ten times that.

I'd keep the purchase of the Mickeys on the down low... and pop for a set of new plugs and wires if the old ones have any serious time on them. Also... I'd pop for a box of Z-Max.

Pour the engine formula in on a new oil change... Fill her with a tank of Shell, Chevron, Mobil... any of the top grade fuels, highest octane ya can find. Run it down to a half tank, pour in the Fuel formula, run it down to a 1/8th for the run. If you can buy homeslice a full tank on the way out to the run... That would help.

With the Mickeys you'll throw at LEAST car on him out of the hole. You'll get diminishing returns as ya go from faster rolls, but they'll still pay BIG up to 30 and fall off pretty quick after 50.

What's more... you can spend the next 995 miles having a blast kicking the hell out of pretty much everyone else in your class. But that's all you'll get if ya keep them on... I get between 400 - 500 miles.

It'd be a good race... But I think you've got a good shot of that GENUINE F-Body taking that Faux-Goat.