VS Cars going head to head!

2002 ls1 camaro vs. Honda Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 AM
1st Gear Member

He only has it gutted because he is redoing everything but he is setting the car up for street so he will have everything back in it besides maybe the spare tire. he still plans on it weighing around the stock weight when he is finished with it. maybe i will just as much money into my camaro and see what happens haha....he has already dropped like 5k into that thing and he doesnt even have the engine in it. Im trying to go look at it in person at the garage he is workin on it at. but he is keeping in top secret from me. i mean hell maybe i should turbo or supercharge my z28 haha not really. i may look into heads and cam next year.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM

I would not be surprised to see the Delsol give you a good run for your money. I am involved with Michigancivics and that group has some amazing cars. My buddy Lyle has a del sol and he is a Mechanic. He has worked on Fords Chryslers and is now at a Volkswagen dealer. He is good and has one hot little delsol he uses for his everyday driver.

I wouldn't be surprised at all!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Well if he was doing it any other way I dont think he would keep up. But in honesty I am prepared for him to keep up with me. But In a 1/4 mile I dont think he will have enough power in the top end. so doogie where are you located at?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

ok, in the order the comments came up... i was skimming too fast to quote

power/weight: everyone should understand that this is the ONLY real thing that matters. what most 17 year old ricers (mostly chose that age bc at 16 most of them havent been exposed to this parable from the ricer bible yet) dont understand is that if you increase weight with power you will still be fast. have ur buddy pull out a calculator and figure what your 350hp/3400lbs car will do to a 100hp(give or take)/2500lbs(give or take) civic. yes, the car is about 1000 lbs less gutted, which is between 1/3 and 1/4 total weight. you have 100% more power..... do math. the power to weight is still better for the camaro (assuming were talking the standard gut and swap most of these guys do)

gears: anyone who is still going around thinking that a higher set of gears will toast your higher speed acceleration probably lacks the mental capacity to actually build a civic to the point it will beat you in the first place. the gears will lower your theoretical top speed i.e. the speed at which you are in high gear at redline. most cars increase both actual top speed as well as high end accel however, because most cars are drag limited before theoretical top speed. furthermore, the drive gears go up to 4th for 6 speed cars. even w/ 4.10s, were talking over 120mph before u hit 5th. no reason to race past that. if u dont know who the winner is by then then call it a draw (and learn to drive better )

Old 08-16-2009, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Well Specter I agree with you, but my buddy or so to speak that I will go against has a Del Sol and unfortunately he is not your typical 17 year old ricer. We are just a bit older but he actually knows how to work on his car unfortunately. He just has some weird strange obsession with 4 bangers. He is going to have his car tuned professionally after he turbo's it as well. Plus the race will take place at our strip near here.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Roachz28
Well if he was doing it any other way I dont think he would keep up. But in honesty I am prepared for him to keep up with me. But In a 1/4 mile I dont think he will have enough power in the top end. so doogie where are you located at?

I'm in Taylor near the Detroit Metro Airport!
I have a shop near Telegraph and Northline.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
VIP member

when i used to be into civic, i was really blinded by the idea that power/weight ratio was a great way to beat muscles cars just like all other newbie import enthusiast. With time you learn that, until you put tons of money, a 4banger is not anywhere near a muscle car

his turboed b16a block with a b16a1 head isn't even going to come near your headers and cam ls1.

After you beat him by at least 3 car lengths, he will realize that his power/weight ratio is pure false hope crap that the ricer community uses to make them feel better about not being able to compete with muscle cars

Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
VIP member

also if you can find out What turbo? How many pounds of boost? Any internal mods? What size exhaust? your friend has, i can give you a better guess

Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 PM

If he's dropping this kind of $ into the del sol why in the hell is he not going with the b18c5 out of the Type-R? You shouldn't have a problem with the b16, but the b18c5 turbocharged can easily produce 450-500hp at the wheels. Either way though you have the advantage, you have rwd and a little thing called torque, these high powered turbo imports no matter how much power they put down they are still fwd. This is comparing apples to oranges, remember you have 3.5x bigger motor than that dudes got, lol.