South West AZ, TX, NM, OK

Metroplex Shops Reading '91 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Default Metroplex Shops Reading '91 Codes

Are there any car mechanics in the Metroplex (Dallas-Fort Worth) that can read codes for 1991 Camaro RS's? It appears most don't go back further than 1996.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Droid

Any shop with a OBDI scanner can read the codes, or you can flash them yourself without any equipment.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
Any shop with a OBDI scanner can read the codes, or you can flash them yourself without any equipment.
How does one flash for codes?

And why do they have to flash anyway? Was this car built back when people played Farmville by Morse Code? This whole thing sounds like a nightmare.

A) How does one flash for codes?

B) What do the flashes mean?

C) What exactly flashes?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Droid

A) These are the instructions for a 93 but the 91 will work the same.
http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg

You have a 21 year old car and things have changed a lot since it was built, and there are not too many left running. Therefore, many shops got rid of the old test equipment or do not want to get involved. However, it is not nearly a nightmare as you my think. Of course if you are an emperor, as you indicate, then you should just go ahead and command that your car be fixed. lol

B) Counting the flashes gives the DTC number. The DTC number tells what the ECM is complaining about. An OBDI chart for your car translates the numbers to English.

C) The check engine lamps flashes and you need to count the flashes.

Last edited by z28pete; 02-14-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM

A) These are the instructions for a 93 but the 91 will work the same.
http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg

You have a 21 year old car and things have changed a lot since it was built, and there are not too many left running. Therefore, many shops got rid of the old test equipment or do not want to get involved. However, it is not nearly a nightmare as you my think. Of course if you are an emperor, as you indicate, then you should just go ahead and command that your car be fixed. lol

B) Counting the flashes gives the DTC number. The DTC number tells what the ECM is complaining about. An OBDI chart for your car translates the numbers to English.

C) The check engine lamps flashes and you need to count the flashes.
You're close, but not there entirely.

Here. I'll make a confession. I'm an automotive neophyte. I love my car. I recognize it's a gift from God and I haven't been a good steward of it. It's not because I have a bad heart, but a very callow understanding. Please explain things in simple terms.

Here. I got this from Camaro 69:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/90-91_31V_mfi.shtml

So after it runs a Code 12, apparently, I count the number of flashes to get the trouble code. If the check engine light flashes 66 times, then that means have an A/C pressure sensor problem -- correct?

Are there short flashes, dashes, and long flashes? I wasn't kidding when I alluded to Morse Code earlier. Am I going to have to count those as well, or are all the flashes of one type?

And where can I get a paper clip?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Droid

In OBD1 cars like yours the DTC is comprised of two digits, newer OBD2 cars the DTC is comprised of one letter followed by four digits.
Don't confuse flashes and pauses, there are no long flashes, just long pauses. Long pauses indicate indicate the end of a DTC, short pauses indicate the end of a digit. So if the DTC is 66 the lamp will flash (1 2) (6 6) (1 2) or start DTC end.
And you are correct, DTC 66 indicates a problem with the refrigerant pressure sensor. Could be faulty wiring or a faulty sensor.

As for the paper clip, you may just have to break down and go to a store and buy one. Of course, if you can get posession of an OBD1 scanner you wouldn't have to worry about all this sillyness. lol

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM

In OBD1 cars like yours the DTC is comprised of two digits, newer OBD2 cars the DTC is comprised of one letter followed by four digits.
Don't confuse flashes and pauses, there are no long flashes, just long pauses. Long pauses indicate indicate the end of a DTC, short pauses indicate the end of a digit. So if the DTC is 66 the lamp will flash (1 2) (6 6) (1 2) or start DTC end.

So wait. Let's use the example of Code 66.

If it's a code 66, the check engine light will do the following:

Flash. Short Pause. Flash. Flash. Long Pause (Code 12)

Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Short Pause. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Long Pause. (Code 66)

Is that how it's going to work?

EDIT: What are the intervals for short pauses and long pauses? Because the first one I see could be either.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

heres a video on how to do it ignore the key thing thats only for chryslers just pay attention on how to count the code

Auto Repair: Chrysler OBD-1 Trouble Code Tutorial - YouTube

Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by The Emperor
So wait. Let's use the example of Code 66.

If it's a code 66, the check engine light will do the following:

Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Short Pause. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Long Pause. (Code 66)

Is that how it's going to work?

EDIT: What are the intervals for short pauses and long pauses? Because the first one I see could be either.
Correct, that is how it works. Keep in mind that code 12 indicates the beginning and end of the DTC series. If code 12 is flashed twice with nothing in between, then there are no coded stored. Other car brands have different codes for start and end, such as the Chrysler shown on the previous post.