93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help reading codes and data!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Question Help reading codes and data!

Hi, I have a 94 Camaro 3.4L Manual and it is not running right. It uses a tank of gas to go about 60 miles. And thats just the start of it. The check engine light comes on after about 5 minutes of running and I got codes 22, 44, 46, and 64 from before I cleared the codes. I used the code scanner and got this:
PRESENT CODES:0
AIR Pump-on
A/F Ratio-15
Baro("HG)-30.63
Baro(V)-4.93
Battery(V)-13.5
LT Fuel TR CL-16
LT Fuel TR EN-Yes
LT Fuel TRM L-156
LT Fuel TRM R-156
EVA DUTY(%)-0
Coolant-215F
Coolant SW-off
EGR SOL 1-off
EGR SOL 2-off
EGR SOL 3-off
KS Counter-1
Fuel Pump(V)-13.5
IAC Position-23
IDLE REQ RPM-750
INJ PW(mS)-6.5
ST FUEL TRM L-141
ST FUEL TRM R-141
KNOCK REQ-0
MAP("HG)-13.74
MAP(V)-1.92
IAT-86
O2S LEFT(MV)-4
O2S RIGHT(MV)-4
QUAD DRIVER 1-BAD
QUAD DRIVER 2-BAD
QUAD DRIVER 3-OK
QUAD DRIVER 4-BAD
RUN TIME-9:56
SPARK ADV-22
TCC BRAKE SW-ON
THROTTLE(%)-0
TPS SENSOR(V)-0.47

Can anybody assess this and tell me what the deal is with my car because I am familiar with engines and cars but not with this data and how to interpret it. Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Overdrive Member

OK here is what I come up with for your codes.

22 tps sensor signal voltage low

44 oxygen sensor lean exhaust

46 pass-key II circuit or ps.pressure switch circuit fault

64 oxygen sensor right side lean exhaust indicated

The O2 sensor codes are leaning to "lean" which should not limit your tank to 60 Miles... Really 60 miles? I can get that in a little over 2 gallons. Code 46 may be there because of the VATS system if it has ever been bypassed or tampered with. The TPS Code 22 can cause major drivability issues and your TPS should be looked at. Low voltage usually means, either no coltage at the sensor or the sensor is shorted to ground.

On your data list it shows 3 quad driver errors I dont have a clue what they are about.

Massey

Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Question

OK thanks, what do you mean by major drivability issues? Also the 'security' light likes to come on in the most inconvenient places like when I'm late for class or work and the car wont turn on for like 5 minutes. What does the TPS sensor do and what are clues to know if its bad because I probably am experiencing them and not noticing them cause I just bought the car about a month ago. Thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM
4th Gear Member

Looks like your O2s have died lol. Your TPS relays a signal to the computer to tell it the position of the throttle blade and compares it to data from the fuel trims and a bunch of other crap. If it's throwing a TPS code, it's definitely bad. Should be located on your throttle body.

Quad errors could be almost anything but are only set by things controlled by the ECM... The quad driver errors I suspect are due to the TPS, and 2 O2 codes since they are almost always accompanied by another code. Your lean condition however could be caused by other problems (TPS for example)

60 miles per tank is like 4 MPG... Your engine isn't capable of using that much gas and you have to have a leak somewhere if that much fuel is going bye bye.

If this data is logged with the vehicle running, the EGR should be engaged. In your report, it is not. That may also be messing with things.

Also Massey I dunno if you know (I dunno much about the 3.4Ls) but I would think the MAP sensor should be reading more than 1.92V lol.

Last edited by evilkal; 12-15-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM

I have no gas leak, it is seriously using that much gas so its not really impossible lol. So I don't have a lean condition, I have a rich condition which is what I am trying to solve first, and may get lucky by one of the sensors causing that problem. I just don't know what the data I recorded is bad or good. When I recorded the data, the car was running... and all three EGR sols were off which probably yields a bad EGR sensor right?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Droid

FYI. Quad drivers are part of the internal circuitry of the ECM/PCM. The quad drivers provide the ground signals that operates various engine control components, such as relays, fuel injectors, EGR valve solenoids, etc.. Quad driver error could mean that there is an improper response to the driver signal, a wiring problem, or an internal problem in the ECM/PCM. It could also mean that that particular driver is not being used in the current application of the ECM/PCM.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by warehimer33
I have no gas leak, it is seriously using that much gas so its not really impossible lol. So I don't have a lean condition, I have a rich condition which is what I am trying to solve first, and may get lucky by one of the sensors causing that problem. I just don't know what the data I recorded is bad or good. When I recorded the data, the car was running... and all three EGR sols were off which probably yields a bad EGR sensor right?
How is it humanly possible for a 3.4L to use almost 16 gallons of fuel in 60 miles? I don't even think I can use that much fuel if I go WOT for 60 miles... In my V6 that is... The TA could no prob lol.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Overdrive Member

If your car ran that rich you would have raw fuel leaking out the tail pipe and also black soot smoke from the tail pipe. I have built 500+ HP V8s that didnt get that bad of mileage, it didnt get much better but it was more like 6-8 not 4mpg. I would look at what the computer is telling you and not just bounce off and fix what you think is wrong regardless of the codes. If you like throwing money away well then throw it!

Like it is stated above start with the TPS and the O2 sensors. You should have 2 O2s replace them both, your TPS sensor is what can cause drivability issues.

If the security light could be caused by a bad chip in your key. If the pellet or the contacts in the tumbler are warn out then it will sense a wrong value and lock the car for 3 minutes. You may need to replace the key, tumbler or both.

Massey

Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear member

That much gas consumption? That's almost a full tank for 60 miles.

Besides the excellent advice you got from Massey and the others in this thread, it sounds like your fuel/air mixture is all messed up.

I tnink you need a new TPS, and definatelt 2 new O2 sensors. Change them both! Hopefully you can get them out of your manifolds otherwise you'll need new manifolds or headers. Mine were seized so bad that even heating them with the torch wouldn't work!

Your secondary air pump could have failed on you too. I would just remove it totally and cap the hole for it in the driver's side manifold.

A bad or leaking injector, spark plugs, wires, bad EGR, plugged cat, bad IAC motor, plugged PCV valve, dirty air filter, bad TPS, bad O2 sensor and plugged or dirty upper-intake can all cause bad gas mileage.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mrfreez
That much gas consumption? That's almost a full tank for 60 miles.

Besides the excellent advice you got from Massey and the others in this thread, it sounds like your fuel/air mixture is all messed up.

I tnink you need a new TPS, and definatelt 2 new O2 sensors. Change them both! Hopefully you can get them out of your manifolds otherwise you'll need new manifolds or headers. Mine were seized so bad that even heating them with the torch wouldn't work!

Your secondary air pump could have failed on you too. I would just remove it totally and cap the hole for it in the driver's side manifold.

A bad or leaking injector, spark plugs, wires, bad EGR, plugged cat, bad IAC motor, plugged PCV valve, dirty air filter, bad TPS, bad O2 sensor and plugged or dirty upper-intake can all cause bad gas mileage.

just a quick question but what are the "air pumps" and what do they do? im missing a fuse where it says air pump in my fuse box under my hood and just wanted to see if i could mess anything up by not replacing it.

Quick Reply: Help reading codes and data!