OCT RTM 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: OCT RTM 2nd gen

Is the trailer hitch in the picture factory, I know it was a really rare option on the car, but I have never seen one myself. The way its mounted made me wonder. Also, has anyone ever seen a second gen with the deluxe bumper group? from 70-72 only a couple thousand were made, It was basically a rubber strip along the front and rear bumpers of the car.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: riceeater

Is the trailer hitch in the picture factory, I know it was a really rare option on the car, but I have never seen one myself. The way its mounted made me wonder.
No I put that on when it was the family hauler, so I could pull my speed boat with it. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

ORIGINAL: TRIPSxZ28
rand you get my vote..... nice ride
Thanks Trip, all it takes is elbow grease and a lil slugger baseball bat, to keep it looking almost as good as when I first bought it.
I do need to 'fit the hood' on it though yet. I took it off when switching to the glass hood. When I went to put it back on a "Pal" helping me, loosened the bolts on the hinges....ACCKK!!! So the adjustment was all screwed up. I KNOW the hood fits ok, cause it did when I bought it, I just need to find someone that can get it right. My cousin's hubby works at a GM plant, I'm hoping one day that he will make it down here or I make it up to Lansing, Mi to get it fixed.
Or I might throw caution to the wind and just give it another go myself, one of these days.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear member

oh, gotcha.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:37 PM
October 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Rand

Thanks Trip, all it takes is elbow grease and a lil slugger baseball bat, to keep it looking almost as good as when I first bought it.
I do need to 'fit the hood' on it though yet. I took it off when switching to the glass hood. When I went to put it back on a "Pal" helping me, loosened the bolts on the hinges....ACCKK!!! So the adjustment was all screwed up. I KNOW the hood fits ok, cause it did when I bought it, I just need to find someone that can get it right. My cousin's hubby works at a GM plant, I'm hoping one day that he will make it down here or I make it up to Lansing, Mi to get it fixed.
Or I might throw caution to the wind and just give it another go myself, one of these days.
I had the same problem, I took the car to Classic Industries and they adjusted my hood. It sucked because after installing theBigger Intake Manifoldandthe 750 Carb my stock hood did not fit. I got the fiver glass hood I only needed a 2" cowl but I ended up getting the 3". It really does a lot for the car.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
October 2007 ROTM

Rand.. Are you the original owner???

Old 09-11-2007, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jonjon

Rand.. Are you the original owner???
No, I bought it when it was a year old and had 12K miles on it. The original owner was in the service when he ordered it. And my sister and brother-in-law lived next door to his parents. My brother-in-law took me over to his parents garage and showed me the car when he first got it. He still had a short time to go in the service.
He never let anyone smoke, eat, etc etc in it....the ashtray had never been used.....

When I bought it the next year, it had the smog stuff off and had Hooker headers and header mufflers. He also put the taller spoiler on the back. Other than that, it was 'stock'.
And besides changingstuff aroundfrom time to time, it has basically stayed the same as I bought it.
I did put an oil gauge in the ashtray....(but I got an extra ashtray)....

I have went back and talked to Terry (the original owner) a few times....I asked why he didn't get the aluminum heads, I guess he had heard they didn't disapate heat that well.....(GRRRRR) LoL

So I guess I can tell you just about anything on the car....original spare tire yet....original warning sticker for the posi....etc etc....

I had a hard time buying it off the Chevy lot.....but I guess thast another story.....[8D]

Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah, the video will def be posted tomorrow around noon, we are putting it up during college

Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 AM
February 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Rand

So I guess I can tell you just about anything on the car....original spare tire yet....original warning sticker for the posi....etc etc....

I had a hard time buying it off the Chevy lot.....but I guess thats another story.....[8D]
That's awesome, I wish I could say that about mine. I could tell you that from 73, I'm sure the car bounced around one person to the next. I use the original wiring harness as my determining factor. Usually one to two owners won't do it, but whenthere are more than that you get to see what I like to call a "factory custom" wiring harness. The kind that take two weekends, 6 ponds of solder, a half mile of heat shrink and getting burned 17 times before it's fixed....Is it just me?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 619Camaro
That's awesome, I wish I could say that about mine. I could tell you that from 73, I'm sure the car bounced around one person to the next. I use the original wiring harness as my determining factor. Usually one to two owners won't do it, but whenthere are more than that you get to see what I like to call a "factory custom" wiring harness. The kind that take two weekends, 6 ponds of solder, a half mile of heat shrink and getting burned 17 times before it's fixed....Is it just me?
No, usually after they have changed stereo's a few times, the wiring looks like a birds nest. LoL

Then I have seen countless carburator techs. Almost every used Holly I have boughthas been butchered...first thing they want to do is remove the vacumms....then they want to pull the bowls off to re-jet it.....only NO ONE seems to own a set of fitting wrenches....so all the nuts on the bowls are rounded, from using 'who knows what' on them. [:@]

Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM
February 2008 ROTM

Yeah, people do somedumb stuff to their cars, but I think it's cause they know they aren't going to keep it. Then again, part of the fun is fixing all these other things that you notice when you were working on something else.